Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case Backhoe 1988 580K series 2. transmission shuttle no go!

Bakobob ยท 2020-04-17 13:36

Gents i purchased a 1988 580K Series #2 backhoe a couple years ago and it was having shifting issues. the symptoms were and are the forward/Revers shuttle system takes a while to engage? after it engages it works fine (while its in use) but after being parked for a while (a day or 2) it goes back to "won't shift"? I changed the Hy-Trans fluid and filter yesterday to prepare for a summer season of digging and now it won't shift at all in forward/reverse. does anyone know how +to trouble shoot the shuttle system on this rig? is there a Internal Shuttle Valve or Pump in this tranny that is failing? on this Unit the complete tranny assembly is attached to the rear-end. any help will be much appreciated. Bakobob

Replies5
  1. #1alrman2020-04-18 18:42

    Welcome to HEF @Bakobob Most problems (98%) regarding a lack of drive with a power shuttle can only be repaired by removal & overhaul. You will need a service manual - but be warned there are many things that can go wrong during such a repair. Do a search here & you will find a great deal of information about this type of problem. Be certain your oil level is at the correct level & you are checking it with the engine idling.

  2. #2Coy Lancaster2020-04-18 21:53

    You said your backhoe is a 580K series 2 where is your four speed shifter located is it in the floor in front of the right hand console or in the right hand console itself?

  3. #3Bakobob2020-04-22 11:55

    The Shifter is in the right hand console itself. Well here is an update. I have not changed the tranny oil since i purchased it so I drained the tranny oil and the viscosity appeared to be that of engine oil! I put in Hy-Trans oil (the Case recommended oil) and its been working perfect!!!!! yes I changed the filter too. so i guess its worth the cost to change all the fluids after you purchase heavy equipment and in my case I got a good rig cheap due to wrong oil!! YEAH. thank you all for your help!! Bakobob

  4. #4JL Sargent2020-04-22 13:03

    Wow, you are one lucky son of a gun.

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2020-04-23 18:47

    Good deal glad you got it going. I did work on one 580K phase III that someone put gear oil in needless to say it didn't shift worth a crap.