I have a 2001 Deere 555g pedal steer machine. The machine pushes and drives fine, forward and reverse. The machine steers right just fine, the machine won't steer left. In 4th gear it half way tries to steer left but it is still pretty weak. I checked all the fluids, replaced replaced they transmission oil and filter, I also replaced the hydraulic filter. The transmission oil filter restriction light is on all the time, the hydraulic filter restriction guage comes on at half throttle or more and stays on, but the hydraulics seem to function fine, at normal speeds. I do have the service manual for the machine, and did adjust the pedals per the manual. Other than that I am not seeing much in the manual of things to check, or any pressures/test ports etc to check. Does anyone have any ideas or run across this before?
Welcome to HEF the jdpuller ! Machine serial number please. When you try to steer to the left and the brake pedal gets stiff from applying the brake, does the engine start to lug down a bit compared to the right? What is the number on the front of your manual (begins with OMT or TM)?
The serial number is TO555GW900945. The operators manual I have is OM-T05321 ISSUE K7. The service manual I have is TM1403 and TM1404. The left and right pedal seem to be about the same stiffness, the right one seems to stick a little bit, I have lubed all the joints in the linkage and looked at the linkage to make sure its free and not binding anywhere. If i put the machine in forward or reverse at an idle and let the machine creep either pedal will stop the machine from going forward(it is disengaging). If i rev it up and hit the pedals neither one seem to pull the motor down when pressed. Both pedals go down when the parking brake lever is engaged and pop back when the lever is released although the left one springs up farther
At idle, you may not have enough to drive a turn and the torque converter then slips. When you adjusted the pedals for the brake adjustment, the procedure says to set the pedals 11" from the firewall. I recommend adjusting to 10.5". Then in TM 1403, go to section 9020-20 (Powertrain-Adjustments). Perform the Adjust Steering Valve-Pedal Steer-Torque Converter.