Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

5580C with a power shuttle issue. Installed a new clutch cutout solenoid but still doesn’t work.

tszeis ยท 2023-09-07 02:44

I have a 5580C with a power shuttle issue. I installed a new clutch cutout solenoid that is actuating, but the clutch cutout still doesn't work. Brakes have little effect, and I can't shift gears without hearing gears grind. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I'd like to be able to shift and stop when I need to. lol

Replies7
  1. #1melben2023-09-07 11:26

    Not enough detail to really know what's going on but in general the forward clutch Bellville spring can break up and jam the forward clutch so it cannot release, Is reverse normal, if the spring is indeed the problem then reverse should be bound up and move with difficulty. That is the most common problem with the reverser. If the clutch disconnect indeed is working as designed then your shuttle is driving without any clutch pressure which points to a mechanical failure.

  2. #2tszeis2023-09-07 13:37

    I went through ALL the electrical, replacing any switch I thought might be causing it. Forward, neutral and reverse all work fine. I can hear and feel the solenoid actuating when I push the break peddle or push the floor button for shifting, so I know that the solenoid works as it should but the backhoe still wants to move. If I know what the possible causes are and how to check them I will. I'm determined now.

  3. #3Vetech632023-09-07 14:00

    I'm going to say the solenoid is not the problem. Its a simple design...all it does is operate the valvestem that dumps the oil pressure. Have you had the valve assembly out too?

  4. #4tszeis2023-09-07 14:23

    No, I've not removed the power shuttle and taken the valve stem out so I don't know what it looks like.

  5. #5franklin22023-09-07 14:45

    The clutch solenoid's primary function is not for stopping the tractor. It's just to temporarily interrupt movement of the tractor. If you put the forward/reverse lever in the middle neutral position, it works fine and stops the tractor and you get no gear grinding?

  6. #6tszeis2023-09-07 15:04

    I agree with your statement "The clutch solenoid's primary function is not for stopping the tractor." but it is suppost to redirect fluid so the tractor isn't forced to keep trying to move when you put on the breaks. Also, how do you go from 2nd gear to 3rd or 3rd to 4th? Do you go to neutral while moving at high speeds? Isn't there a danger of overshooting and going to reverse, possibly damaging your machine?

  7. #7tszeis2023-09-11 15:54

    I get no gear grinding in Nutral. Serious question: while moving is it safe to put the power shuttle in neutral, then shift to third or forth gear?