Hi everyone new day new problem wondering what y’all would suggest Top of the rad 90 degree hose bib that runs back to overflow tank was hoping was crack in rubber hose but not was the bib that goes into the tank top come right of What would be best to reattach solder or jb weld don’t think any mig weld can work just light white metal any suggestions thanks
I fixed an old welder radiator with solder that is used for plumbing copper pipes. It was the filler neck/cap. Soldered a new one on. Worked great.
Thanks for the reply think that would work best just wasn’t sure if there was anything special about the solder or flex used on a radiator have plenty of copper pipe solder kicking around
I would try solder.
Whatever you do, make sure it’s clean and free of fluid, paint, rust, etc.
I second this! If it aint clean and dry, its gonna leak! No welding, just solder. A small torch should handle it. Flux too.
50/50 solid core solder, flux and use muratic acid for prepping the two parts. Sand both parts first to bare metal. Then tin the joint area before the actual repair. Water bottle to flush and cool the joint right after soldering
Thanks for the replies got it cleaned up and soldered on ran for half hour seems to be holding no leaks for now
That fitting stuck on there like that looks like the kind of idiocy the Brits used to do on cars. Destined to fail from day one, but press on anyway. Joe H
Thanks for your words of encouragement there Joe first time soldering on rad done house pipes for over 35 years no leaks yet So if and when it starts leaking again will sure be waiting on your advice at that time and wouldn’t be the first job I’ve done over 3or 4 times just adds to the fun
I meant press on to the Brits who did that sure to fail nonsense, not you. Another Brit favorite is embedding brass fittings into plastic tanks, sure to fail but long out of warranty by then. And you need a new fuel tank because it's leaking around the fittings, they're only $1,400, how many would you like? Your solder job is probably as good as the original, it's the stupid design that's the problem. Joe H
Understand they stick an elbow with a drop of solder only cost $3000. for a new one they install a plastic roof that deteriorates if used outside in the sun then cracks and leaks like Niagara Falls that’s probably another $3000.guess these machines are designed by people who don’t use them and to maximize profit
Well, don’t forget, some of this iron is 20, 30, 40 years old. Let see a vehicle last that long. Lol
I fear, your statement is true! I purchased a 2019 Bobcat E85 excavator. When I look at the very specialized parts, I say, no way they will be available in the future. What ever happened to the roll of heater hose in the main sizes servicing all vehicles??
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it my 87 ford 555xl I bought brand new and sold in 09 had a steel roof never a leak never ever had a leaking cylinder other than few blown hoses and starters and batteries maybe could screw down some new metal on the roof have few sheets left over that should do
I think your experience with soldering shows in your repair. Likely much better than the original job.