Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K FEL Lift Issues

mobrien1987 · 2024-08-13 13:01

Good afternoon all, I apologize that my first post is asking for help, but I need some direction. I have a 1989 580K that is having issues with the FEL lift holding position during operation. The bucket will drift down ever so slowly unloaded, and a bit faster when loaded. There are no issues the curl function of the FEL or the hoe during operation with respect to bleed off. What I have done so far is re-pack the lift cylinders with the problem not getting better nor did it get any worse. I am leaning toward the FEL control valve, but before I start looking at rebuilding it I thought I would ask a few questions that I was not able to find in searching this forum. 1. To change the o rings does the control valve need to be removed from the machine? 2. Are there any trouble shooting techniques that might help me further ID what is happening? 3. If I do indeed need to replace the rings for the lift spool, should I go ahead and rebuild the entire valve? I have some experience dealing with hydraulics, but have never attempted to rebuild a valve such as I described above. Thank you in advance for any information, Mark

Replies4
  1. #1alrman2024-08-13 19:19

    Welcome to HEF @mobrien1987 580K's had valves fitted on side of chassis & early models behind the engine. Inspecting the load check valves (#19) - described below can be done (with difficulty in the later position) - a tool needs to be fabricated to pull the load check valves. The orings on lift spool (#3) simply stop oil leaking out of the valve. Check items #25;#23;#20;#21 first If they are ok, then recheck your cylinders to be certain seals were not damaged during installation.

  2. #2mobrien19872024-08-14 07:33

    Thank you for the response. So I just need to have the o rings on hand when getting ready, correct?

  3. #3stinky642024-08-14 09:10

    Always good to have parts on hand for any repair. More importantly, notice all the springs in that picture, be very careful when taking apart. Sometimes parts can stick and then shoot across the shop when they come loose. I learned the hard way.

  4. #4mobrien19872026-01-12 21:22

    Reviving this tread as I am just now getting around to getting the courage to fix my FEL bleed issue. Does anyone have a victor’s of where this valve body is located on a 1989 580k?