Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 B CK – Questions (Fuel leaks & Fuel shut off)

okney1lz ยท 2010-05-13 19:25

So, I finally got around to installing my dash and fixing a few other things. One of the "Banjo" fittings on my injector pump was leaking so I replaced the steel washers and that seemed to fix it. My questions are: I have a fuel leak directly above the #2 cylinder, more of a seep actually. It's kind of hard to see in there. In your experience is this probably just a matter of tightening or replacing seals, or are the lines prone to cracking? I removed my fuel shut off cable(it just kind of pulled out). Now I'm trying to reinstall the new one but I am having a hell of a time trying to reach in there. Are there any tricks to this? Thanks in advance!

Replies2
  1. #1Phil2010-05-14 06:18

    I think you will have to take the hood off to check out the fuel leak. If it's not the injector supply line leaking, it's probably the return line assembly above it. Order a few seals(2 sizes) to have when you take the hood off. The injector return lines are touchy, often a gentile tightening will stop a leak, but the fittings/ nuts are aluminum and subject to cross-threading and stripping. If the seal on the injector body is leaking, it can be pulled off and replaced also, this seal is a different size than the ones above. No easy way to reattach that fuel shut-off cable end. I think I have removed the entire lever with a shortened allen wrench, if needed, to free up that fastener. I use a small open end wrench, maybe 5/16", can't remember, and put a pair of needle nose vice-grips on the end of it. Lots of WD-40 too. There is a 1/4" bolt with bracket on the engine block that holds the outer cable. It's a real pain, perhaps a ratcheting box end wrench is available in that size. Phil

  2. #2okney1lz2010-05-14 10:48

    Just the man.... Thanks for the advice and information Phil! I was hoping someone would know what I was talking about. I'll order up those seals before I decide to get into this. I also figured I might have to customize my own wrench or make one from scratch for the shut off cable. It is nice to "pick the brains" of someone who has more experience than I do! Thanks again!