Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 bushing install help

newdesertfox ยท 2020-05-14 19:40

Im in need of some help or advice on this as Im lost. I searched through the forums and google a lot to learn as much as I could to install new bushings without a hitch, which hasn't happened at all. I have tried deep freezer, dry ice, and liquid nitrogen to freeze this freaking things, I re-honed the holes after extracting the old bushings, tried to install the bushings stored in nitrogen with nuts and thread rod and a 3/4 impact and had no effect, I've been trying for over a week and upped to 1" thread rod, enerpac pump and 20 ton cylinder, custom made mini bushings to keep the thread rod perfectly centered and nitrogen and dry ice and every time the bushing will turn sideways bending the 1" rod and cutting into the backhoes hole the bushing is suppose to go into. I ordered the case bushings for the 580k, and after calipering them in extreme frustration the holes are coming in at 1.8505" and the OD on the bushing is 1.8960 and Im honestly lost if they are suppose to be that different in size. Any thoughts? Also note in the pictures, the bushing was started perfectly straight, and there are 2 fitted guide bushings on the all thread in the whole and so the all thread is what is bent as the bushing forced itself sideways at 8000psi on the pump and 20 ton cylinder

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2020-05-14 20:15

    No way can that be right. 46 thousandths between bush O/D & bore I/D. A press fit of 0.003-0.004" per inch of bore size is the usual rule of thumb. So if the holes are coming in at 1.8505" then the bush O/D should be somewhere in the range between 1.8565" & 1.8585". Kudos on managing to measure to tenths of a thou with a caliper by the way. I'd have needed an inside micrometer to get that level of accuracy.

  2. #2Tags2020-05-14 20:34

    Could it be they got you the wrong bushing?

  3. #3newdesertfox2020-05-15 03:58

    I was honestly wondering if maybe they were the wrong size, I have never installed any before and i knew there was some size difference, but I thought it was in lke 3-5 thousands but wasn't sure. I actually measured both about 10x with the digital calipers different spots etc to verify my numbers were right as they seemed so far off. But I honestly think after hearing both your thoughts that these aren't the right bearings for these holes and maybe someone made a mistake in the supply chain

  4. #4Billrog2020-05-15 09:41

    Most certainly something, bushings are not that difficult to install .

  5. #5Nige2020-05-15 09:51

    using liquid nitrogen the problem should not be getting it in but stopping it falling out of the other side...!!

  6. #6Tinkerer2020-05-15 10:31

    If you haven't done so already, go to the online parts book and determine which bushing you are supposed to have. Select the part number and a box will pop-up with a full description of the bushing and it will include the dimensions of it, in mm. https://partstore.casece.com/us/par...d5c9b1a5&sl=EN&currency=#epc::mr54945ar481063

  7. #7newdesertfox2020-05-16 15:03

    I had checked the parts numbers but I re checked and found out that basically the bushings aren't the right ones, they are labeled as the right ones, but the size reported is wrong, from case website they say they are suppose to be one thing, and then I bought them from Allstate and apparently they maybe have a mess up in their system as when you type in the same matching number and got to its page that bushing is advertised with a different OD, and thats causing the issue, off by about .5-.9mm, the rest of the bushings I bought were the correct size but those 4 (the ones I started with of course) don't match

  8. #8Nige2020-05-16 15:05

    Well isn't that a surprise.....??