First off I am New to the forum and New to a backhoe i was raised on a farm and never replaced a Ring and Pinion on anything other than a truck. I dug in and removed the floor pans and top of the trans and found the ring gear missing a tooth "AKA the POP /BANG sound". so i am asking for any guidance info i can research before i dig in and replace with new parts. any suggestions on where to get them and a guide would be appreciated. thank you in Advance. jake
You can do it in frame, but i would set the rear end and trans out. It can be done in a good hour and it would save you a lot of climbing. I have only pulled the floor once in many years of working on those machines. Chock the front wheels, remove the drive shaft, remove the two front support straps, unhook the brake lines at the slave cylinders, unhook the brake cable at the cross shaft, unhook the diff lock linkage at the brake housing, remove the gear shift lever, drain the trans/rear end oil, check the rear area for bolts holding the hyd tubes for the hoe, b/u alarm if installed in that area, cut any tie straps/unbolt any p clamps holding elect wires in that area. Raise machine up on the outriggers and place some blocks to support the front of the trans and rear end about 20-24", remove both rear wheels and rims, lower the machine onto the cribbing/pallets, remove the axle to frame bolts on each side, raise the machine up with the outriggers, use the hoe to drag it out with a rope or chain and set it where you want it. The machine can be moved since the hyd system is still in place, i have gone back on several machines to find them 3-5 miles down the road digging without a rear/trans in them on utility crews. Big thing is to be careful, it is heavy and somewhat hard to handle. Going back is some different steps. Once out their are several here with case background info that can help.
thank you Sheepfoot good info..
I just did one on my 580c I replaced all bearings races and seals as well and did the brakes while I was at it as well. I removed the transaxle from the machine it was the best move I ever done. I have videos on youtube showing how I removed and reinstalled the axle.. Not very informative videos but enough to watch and get an idea how to do so
Where did you buy the ring and pinion?
Check with Dale Weiss at TractorStuff. I got a ring gear and pinion from him for a 580k and was very satisfied. These folks are very knowledgeable on Case backhoes and great to work with. I highly recommend them.