Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Got 1st back hoe last night – Case 780 q’s?

mdurbahn ยท 2016-07-08 11:43

Hi, I traded a bobcat for a 1980 case 780 backhoe with 336 Turbo Diesel last night. I got a quick tutorial on how to use it from the prior owner but not even sure what all the buttons/switches do. I couldn't find an operators manual on the Case website, does anyone have one? Most of it is pretty self explanatory but there are a couple things not sure about. I didn't realize how huge this old beast is, I am digging rock so it should work good for that, but once I get through the HD digging prlly be looking at getting something smaller. If anyone has any tips/tricks/advice about these old guys let me know! I do not find much info online about them. Here are a couple pics: 20160707_184209 by mdurbahn , on Flickr Screenshot_2016-07-07-20-00-00 by mdurbahn , on Flickr

Replies8
  1. #1DualsportWA2016-07-12 10:28

    Congrats- looks like a cool rig!

  2. #2El Hombre2016-07-12 13:13

    Once you get used to a 700 sized hoe, you won't want to go back to those 500 sized hoes; the size you buy for your wife! I'm on rock, wife hoes are OK for about 80% of the work, but then you hit something REEAALLY big and only the 700 is going to move it. Only if you have to trailer and work on tiny lots do the kiddie hoes make sense.

  3. #3overhaulin2016-07-12 13:37

    I also just purchased my first backhoe about a month and half ago and while it seems pretty simple to use there was, and is, a lot to learn about these machines. I purchased a training manual/tests that has really shed light on many topics I was not sure about or had even thought about yet. Anyway take a look at it and if you don't have much experience on a backhoe, like me, I think you find the book is worth every penny and then some. Equipment Training Resource at www.equiptrain.com

  4. #4sheepfoot2016-07-12 15:24

    That's a nice big hoe mdurbahn !!. We had a few customers with the older units 680/780's many years ago. They were a good all around digging machine for utility work with many of the older units ending up on the farms and homesteads. The big thing is to keep you boom cylinders away from the stabilizer pads and bucket/teeth off the stabilizer cylinder/rods. Keep the front kingpins greased, air tanks drained of condensation. Your machine depending on s/n, hyd system holds 57 gallons total, 13-25 gal in tank. The trans/convertor holds 5 gal TCH fluid, engine oil single grade 30 weight 9-11 qt., differential 8 qt. 135-H EP gear lube, planitaries between 2.5 and 7.5 qt. per side 135-H EP. Hope this helps some. I would change the engine oil in the older units at 100-150 hrs., the later (B) series ran a larger oil pan that held around 17 quarts.

  5. #5Tinkerer2016-07-13 07:10

    Here is a link to the Case 780 B series -----> http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr55332ag43849

  6. #6mdurbahn2016-07-13 11:47

    Thanks those are some helpful tips! I have had a chance to play with it a little now and it digs really well/smooth. I can't believe how well it starts up, faster then my new car.

  7. #7mdurbahn2016-07-13 11:49

    Nice! Was looking for that, that is very helpful thanks.

  8. #8Blueboy2016-07-13 13:17

    Thats why they call it "rocky mountain high"