Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 case C adjusting idle

Bill95709 · 2024-05-18 18:19

I’ve replace the injection pump with a rebuilt one. It wasn’t cheap but it runs good now. I’d like to turn down the Idle which should be easy but I thought I read something maybe in the manual not to do it on the linkage. Is there some special way to adjust the throttle? Can I just adjust the throttle linkage? I don’t want to screw something up.any advice would be wonderful.

Replies6
  1. #1franklin22024-05-19 09:50

    Here's the info from the manual. Looks like the governor is involved in some of this so be careful.

  2. #2Tinkerer2024-05-19 11:51

    Is the hand throttle all the way down to the idle position and adjusted correctly ??

  3. #3thepumpguysc2024-05-19 16:48

    There’s a screw on the inj pump.. simply loosen the 5/16 nut and use either a screwdriver or a 5/16 nut drive and back it out a tad, until you’re happy..

  4. #4Bill957092024-05-19 22:14

    The hand throttle is all the way down. From what the manual says is to use a tachometer. Don’t have one and wouldn’t know where to put it anyway. And if do turn it down should I put lock tight on the stop nut? I’d think my ears would tell me when it’s slow enough. Ty bill

  5. #5thepumpguysc2024-05-19 23:13

    Loctite is by not necessary.. A Photo-tach is a handy tool.. Only costs 20.00 online.. It comes with reflective tape and u stick it on the harmonic balancer.. then pull the trigger on the tach and bob’s your uncle.. If u wanted one for the dash, most of them read off the alternator..??

  6. #6Tinkerer2024-05-22 07:10

    Tiny Tachs are an ingenious device and easy to install. They make them for both diesels and gas engines. I have one for a gas powered outboard motor. Diesel Tiny-Tach | Design Technology, Inc., Home of Tiny-Tach Diesel Tiny-Tach. An hour-meter for diesel engines. www.tinytach.com