Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Accelerator linkage

Bill95709 · 2024-05-18 18:08

I’ve got a 580C backhoe. My breaks are toast and are dragging. I’ve watched videos on you tube on replacing them. Ok I get it, how to repair and rebuild the rear brakes but in the videos they look like they take out the seat and floor board. Is this what you have to do? Remove the seat and floor board? If so how hard is it? How wonderful it’d be to have good breaks. Bill

Replies3
  1. #1stinky642024-05-18 18:40

    Try lubing all the BRAKE linkage, especially the BRAKE lever that pivots at the top of the housing and the slave cylinder is mounted to. Even if you have to free up stuck drum assy's it can be done without removing the floor panel from underneath the machine. Do you have manuals? If not you should get 'em, you're gonna need 'em. P.S. what does this have to do with accelerator linkage?

  2. #2Bill957092024-05-19 02:03

    The idle does seem a little high but because my breaks don’t work well lowering the idle will let the machine slow down more on its own if that makes sense. My question is should the tractor still move if you take your foot off the gas pedal? If it’s in gear it’ll drive without pushing the pedal. I moved and my stuff is still in boxes so I need to dig my service manual so I can see where to lubricate the linkage. I’m new to the forum so I have a lot of questions. I’d like to keep this old girl running.

  3. #3Tinkerer2024-05-19 07:47

    Be sure the lever on the hand throttle is in the idle position.