I have a 580 that doesn’t always take off when shuttle is shifted into Forward. Will eventually go and seems to improve when warmed up. Reverse seems to always work without issue. Dropped the pan today and oil seems a little dark but nothing out of the normal as I recently purchased and don’t know the last time it was serviced. I did find some oring trash when I strained the oil to looks for debris. Any thoughts on what oring failure would cause this? I ordered a pressure gauge so I can further diagnose but won’t be delivered until Monday.
Gonna need more info, lots of 580's. Serial # would be helpful if you're looking for help.
Do you have the service manual for whatever king of 580 you have ?
I do have a service manual for 580c and can’t pinpoint the exact model but from the diagrams the shuttle transmission looks like a match. From What I have researched I thought that the same shuttle was used for 480’s and 580’s manufactured in the mid 80’s.
If it is a C serial # tag will be located inside left ROPS support/inside L/S door.
That is the ROPS serial number. The tractor serial number is either inside of the cab on the left hand side of the dash or under the left-hand door stamped on the frame rail. If it has a power shuttle there will be two oil lines connected to the oil cooler on the bottom of the radiator.
The oring could be off the pickup strainer tube. That might be the reason it’s acting funny. Assuming you removed the tube and strainer to clean, or it just finally failed.
That is incorrect, don't be so quick to throw shade my way unless you have your facts straight. Basic machine serial # plate is located on L/S ROPS support/inside L/S door. ROPS # for cab at bottom of r/s cab window center post and canopy # is supposed to be on the upper r/s crossmember of the structure, but can't find one on my machine. Look it up it's in the operators manual, sure you have one you can download for free. Sorry for that W&R.
I apologize stinky. Never ever tried to make anyone look bad, or challenge their posts. I was only going by what I read a long time ago on Broken Tractors website. I guess they shouldn't be giving out erroneous information. https://www.brokentractor.com/p/case-580c-backhoe-info-and-serial-number-breaks-by-year-580c/ I think I need to (will) take a break on HEF.
Nah, you don’t need a break, just need to breath some fresh air and let the tension from the last 6 months blow away, like a gust of bad air.
Is linkage worn out?
Thank you for everyone’s input. The linkage did have a lot of slop in it at the handle so I welded new bushings on it and installed a longer 1/4” roll pin to correct that. I also adjusted up the helms a little bit but didn’t correct issue. The issue was the Oring on the pickup tube. I finally got an oring and new gasket so I could put back together and it is working great now. The chunk of oring that I found was larger than the suction tube one though?….might have kicked the can down the road, but is working for now
Don't you dare leave! Everyone has their own opinion, and they all aren't going to be the same. Everyone has put out information that may not be completely accurate......I have done it quite often. If I stand corrected, then so be it.....I want the forum to be as accurate as possible for those in need. Don't take anything as a personal attack if you can. Let it roll off like water on a ducks back!
Nice call!
The only o-ring that could end up in the pan really, is the one for the pick-up tube and from the dipstick tube. Everything else, you would just see black material. Either o-ring could have just been spooged to look huge. At least that’s what my wife said. Lol
Good call! Realized I had a typo....*Heim
when my 580C would not go forward but did barely go back(like yours), and it was better when warmed up(like yours), for me the problem turned out to be just low transmission oil, I was fooled because it seemed over full when I checked it, BUT this needs to be checked when the engine is running and warmed up.
The dipstick was showing a hair under full when checking with the proper procedures. When I drained the convertor and transmission, I strained to check for debris and measured the fluid. It measured at 7.75qts. I believe the main issue was the o-ring around the suction tube that I strained out of the oil. 0.25qt could have also been a contributing factor due to lack of suction from the pickup tube. I appreciate your comment and helping out.