I recently bought my first backhoe a 580 CK and am in the process of fixing it up for use around my property. So far I have changed all the filters, drained and refilled the radiator and have changed some of the hydraulic hoses. I am having problems however with getting to the hoses on the backhoe swing ram. There just doesn't seem to be enough room to get a wrench in there to take off the hoses. I would appreciate any help on how to get these hoses off.
You should invest in a set of crow's foot sockets - you'll need them again.
Way back when, my dad borrowed a friend's 780 CK and it blew the packing out of both swing cylinders... How or why it happened to both cylinders at the same time is beyond me... The guys undid the pivots on the cylinders and then pulled them out before undoing the hoses... Not sure if you wanna go to those lenghts but it could be an option...
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the crows feet sockets first and if I can't get it that way I guess I'll have to pull the cylinder. Hope the crow feet do the job.
I bought a Snap-on crows foot wrench for a line on a 580D hoe valve. Adding my longest 1/2" bar, with a 6" extension, and trying it on a hose, it spread and just keep jumping around. It was a 12 point, that's all I could get in that size. You might want to consider making a tool. I add heat to the fittings to help them come off, although I wouldn't advise anyone else do it. Here is a link to a thread I posted on the subject. Phil http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10339
I can understand changing fluids and filters but why are you changing hydraulic pipes? are they damaged ? If not damaged and you are changing them because they are old and you feel they should be changed, can I suggest you invest in a couple of spares and a couple of additional over length spares as backups and simply change a pipe when it blows.
hose tools case makes some heavy duty 12 point crows foot ,i think there made by otc but they are the ticket. they won`t spread like the normal ones available through your case dealer
I believe I saw the one djack is talking about. A guy near the Quebec border had one and it worked slick. He said it came right from Case years ago. The extension was built right into it. He was changing the hose on a 580E boom cylinder I think. I tried hard to buy it, but no luck. OTC is good stuff. Phil
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm new to this kind of stuff and can use all the help and suggestions you can give. I'm changing the hoses because they are really in bad shape. I had the stabilizer hose rupture on me the other day and created a geyser of hyd. fluid. The boom swing hose has a noticealble bulge in it and I think will be the next to rupture and so I just wanted to change it before I get another geyser. I haven't had time to tackle it yet. Getting some spares and longer hoses made up is a good idea and I will probably do that cause I'm not changing all the hoses just the ones I think will blow soon.
Cant argue with that :thumbsup they do say that prevention is better than cure, I just didnt want you spending money unneccessarily. :drinkup
I finally got the boom swing hoses replaced. Everything came off and went back in OK. The hardest part was getting the top pin that holds the cylinder in place off. It had two threaded holes to use as a puller to get the pin out but the threads did not match any sae bolt so I ended up useing a metric bolt. It was a little tight but did the job. Thanks guys for all the help.