Greetings all, I am still looking for a tlb. Here is a 416 that I am looking at. All seems okay except the boom swing cylinder pins and bushings. They are very loose. When the boom is extended the bucket will free swing about 3 feet (by hand). How difficult is it to repin and rebush those swing cylinders. Also it they are so worn, then are the main boom bushin/bearing in the same shape. A couple photos of the beast.
it depends how long it has been like that it might need to bored out and have bigger one put in
From the pics you need to overhaul the swing cylinders anyway. You may need some machining on the bushing bores but that is not too hard to do once you have them off the machine.
that is the wear you can see. Get that thing swinging and I guarantee it will be like a piece of spaghetti. Save up for a way better one.
stay away from cats, my dad had alot of problems with the 1988 he had.
We had a 87 416 IIRC. We used that thing for a looooooong time. It always was real jerky in the side to side swing. We had to replace the bronze wear bars on the inner boom and the extend cylinder because the rod got bent somehow (prob operator error) We just got rid of it last year on a partial trade for a 96 Komatsu 120 since we never used it after having 2 420D's and 1 420E. I still chuckle a bit on how you lock the boom.
Thanks to all that replied, I have backed away from buying the cat 416. Seems to have had too many issues for the asking price. I offered $10,500 but he made no counter offer. There were numerious small defects other than the swing clyinder pins. I have now made a down payment on a John Deere 310C with all the bells and whistles except Air Cond. And for less money. More on it later and a new thread. Thanks, David d.
Be careful with early Cat TLBs. The introductory models were a compilation of other manufacturer's components that were not designed to work together and as JS580L has mentioned, many people had a lot of trouble with them. I don't know what year that Cat got it all together and used in house designed components.
Much better choice. :notworthy
Cat 416 Questions Hi, I now own a 1886 Cat 416, 2 wheel drive with extendahoe and have several questions. Getting ready to rebuild the leaking backhoe bucket cylinder, What size of impact socket do I need to remove the bolt on the end of the rod? Also going to change the transmission filter and fluid. As a good practice should I remove and clean the internal strainer? The transmission is operating properly and seem in good condition. Just changing all fluids and filter so I know when they were last done. When pressed down the left brake stick down and has to be released pushing it back up. The right brake and parking breaks operates normally. It there anything external to check? Thanks