World's roughest 580 CK worked about 3 hours eliminating a couple of small trees and moving some gravel. While dressing up the driveway, reverse just went away. A couple of weeks ago I had drained the milkshake-like fluid from the shuttle transmission and replaced the filter. I put in Accel from Tractor Supply in order to wash out some more water. The fluid is still graish-white with water and will change again tomorrow. One more flush and I'll put in the good stuff. But, why did it loose reverse only and then get it back by sitting overnight? I would think that a filter clog or the strainer dirty would stop either gear at the same time. Have no gauges, starts with a screwdriver, and it leaks everywhere. I need a 580 C clutch spring and a lot of adjustments. Any clue why it would loose only reverse and where can I get the guages. Thanks, packratc
Sometimes it's pretty hard to get them full. Bring it all up to temp. Raise the bucket and block it. Run through the F/R a bunch of times. Keep checking and adding a pint at a time.
Welcome to HEF packratc, 2 different models are spoken of here - vastly different to each other. We need to confirm if you have a 580 CK (construction king -late 60's to early 70's) or a 580C (mid to late 70's) I'm betting you have a 580C. Chances of a CK loosing REV is rare as 99 times out of 100 they lose FWD drive or all drive. A 580C however has the borg warner shuttle & will often lose REV. This is due to FWD being locked or jammed into drive from spring / plate failure & when you engage REV the machine will not move due to FWD & REV being engaged at the same time. This is usually proven by being unable to change 4 speed while shuttle is in neutral. When the machine sits overnight, the FWD pack can sometimes 'relax' enough to allow the jammed up plates to settle & allow pack to operate normally the next day - have seen this more than once.
Thanks for both replies. The tag on the right side of the cowl reads: 580 CK 8320001. Would appreciate if you could confirm for me the exact machine that I own. I think it is a 1969 580 CK. Please let me know your opinion. Thanks, Packratc
According to that SN you do indeed have a 580 CK - 1967 year of manufacture..............Well, that throws my theory out the window Don't suppose you could post a picture of the old girl could you? When you have the no REV problem - Does any drive exist - wheels on ground or off? Does FWD perform as it normally would? Can the 4 speed be shifted while in neutral? What is the "clutch sping" you speak of - the return spring on left pedal maybe?
This has only happened once so far. Reverse just went away but I had foward gear. I parked it. The next day I tried it again and I had both foward and reverse,although reverse did not go in as fast or hard as it had been. The "clutch spring" I need is the return spring on the dump pedal, the left one. It was stretched when I got the machine and the previous owner had been helping it return with the toe of his shoe when he used it. As to shifting gears, you have to idle it down as low as you can go to get it into any gear and it grinds the gears most of the time. I very seldom use anything but first gear as it has no brakes and the foot throttle linkage is gone so the speed it regulated by the hand control all the time. I might add that this thing has no grill and the bolts that hold the radiator shroud are mostly gone and the others are loose and worn out. When you ust the loader the whole thing shifts upward or down. This, of course, has created a leak at the top of the radiator which I'll soon have repaired. It hasn't overheated as the weather has been pretty chilly. I I mentioned this as it looks to me like the bolts that hold the stearing column to the machine itself may have been pulled loose. At least the one on the right side has a lot of thread showing. Maybe one of the spacers is missing. I haven't seen another old machine like this so I have nothing to compare it to. I thought if there was loosness or flex in there it might be affecting the linkage when under stress. This thing has seen a lot of stress. Will try to post pictures of the ugliness if my wife will teach me how. I'm suffering with being a dinasour myself. Thanks for your help. Packratc
In between rain storms I changed hydraulic fluid again to try to eliminate the water. Also installed new shifter boot. THe fluid looks the same. It's milky white but pretty thin. Looks about like 10 weight oil. Was discussing with a friend the possibility of a cooler leak in the radiator. He said he didn't think so as the transmission has lots of pressure and the radiator only the pounds created by the rating of the radiator cap. Therefore if there was a leak it would probably be hydraulic fluid in the water and not water in the torque tube. This makes sense to me. What do you all think? Thanks, packratc