Hello I am in need of a small backhoe, which would be used mostly for personal use. I am a millwright, so I would do most of the repairs myself. I live in Ontario Canada. I would like to say I have been reading, and reading all the post in the backhoe section, and I must say that there is a lot of good info and from what I am getting is if I want to buy a used machine for under $15000 a case 580D is the way to go and stay away from the 580 B and C Is that right? How important is it to having 4x4? What does a 580 super E mean and a 580 super K mean? What about a case K see link What about a John Deere I have posted several link that I thought you the experts could look at and I realize you can’t tell me what shape the machine is in ,You could tell me to say away from said unit and why. So thankyou thankyou http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...-Case-CK-and-Triaxle-Float-W0QQAdIdZ242161872 http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...t-Case-580-Super-K-Backhoe-W0QQAdIdZ260767414 http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...t-Case-580-Super-K-Backhoe-W0QQAdIdZ260767414 http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...pment-Case-Super-K-Backhoe-W0QQAdIdZ258055833 http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...ment-JD-510-backhoe-loader-W0QQAdIdZ255905132
Well, Just my opinion. The 65 Case is pretty darn old. No glass on cab and has the old multi lever hoe control. And again, just too old. The 1990 really looks like it has more hrs. than listed. Maybe the meter has been replaced. But maybe just not used and not cared for. You would need to look at it and bring an experienced backhoe friend along. If you can find a retired operator on heavy equipment mechanic they can be a huge asset for you. And they just love to go along and help. The 1995 looks like its really not been looked after. Rust everywhere and very rough interior. Usually pictures look better than real life. So that one does not look good. The old 510 Deere is a large machine. If it was a 310C, they were very popular and well liked by many but a 510 is rare and used parts will be rare and probably aftermarket parts will be rare. I'd consider looking at the low hrs 1990 with an experienced guy along. I now own my second TLB and when I purchased my 310D I brought my father in-law along. He has run backhoes and excavators all his live. He knew exactly how to look for worn bearings, joints, brakes, clutch, etc. A guy like that can save you from making a terrible investment. Sorry and good luck.
Good dog, Did you see this one? Seems interesting from pics and description. http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...HOE-LOADER-EXTENDAHOE-580D-W0QQAdIdZ261637492
Yes Deon I did thanks, That was the only one that I was really intrested in. But it is not a 4 wheel drive and I'm not in a hurry,just started looking and learning. I since think I'm more intrested in a john deere 110 size machine, do not know if case makes a similiar machine.what do you think?
Deon Nothing to be sorry about I was thinking about the same as you were on those machine just wanted to see if I was on the same page.When I do find one worth pursing I will be bring a experience operator for approval. Howabout you ,come to On much haha.
Deon What do you think of his one see link thanks http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=259476678
Hey Good dog, That last one, the CAT 416, should be good on fuel. Unfortunately, the early CAT units were reputed to be not-so-great machines. Later CATs are really good unit though. I had a 580D before my current JCB It was a great machine, did everything i ever asked of it. Parts are easy to come by. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. 4 wheel drive is a must in my opinion but i have to work in adverse conditions all hte time. If your work can wait till its dry, 2 wheel drive is fine. My old unit was 4 stick machine, but if you can find a 2 stick you would likely be more happy. Its a little more modern. As far as assessing one, I look for slop in all the pins and bushings. At your budget, you're going to find lots of slop, but after looking at a bunch you may find some better than other. Of course, there is nothing that can't be fixed. Pins and bushings are pretty darn easy to renew. After that, test the torque converter by placing the bucket up against something solid and try to spin the tires. In low gear you should be able to spin the tires if the torque converter isn't slipping too much. The D's had a dry diff lock ( dry band brake). The transmission output shaft seal would sometimes leak oil into the diff lock case, and the diff lock would stop working. Testing the diff lock will tell you what that seal is like. If you can get something a little new it will have a wet diff lock, which tend to be trouble free. Lift the front axle off the ground and wiggle all the parts of the front axle, looking for play. If the unit has done a lot of loader work, the front axle will likely be very sloppy. Again, nothing that can't be fixed up if you like doing that sort of thing. Engines are pretty bullet proof in the D's, make good power, and start well. The only other chronic problem with them is rotten doors. Water gets into the door frame and rots out the bottom. It happens to all the units with that cab style. Look for it. As far as the numbering series goes, its B C D superD E superE K superK and so on. I think thats right. Each one adds a little power, some more hydraulics, and updated features. Personally, i don't think Case made a bad hoe. I got rid of mine cuz i needed 4wd, else i would still have it.
Thanks Watglen As I'm not in any hurry, going to look a lot of BH, what type of hoe would you be looking for that would be more trouble free, what would have a wet diff lock. thanks
Here is an other machine ,this one looks like a sweetheart ,a little more than I want to spend, but may be cheaper in the long run to look at hoes in this price range. http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=262265406
That one looks pretty sweet. My guess its been painted, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You really gotta drive them, to check them out. Not sure what machines would have a wet difflock, certainly anything newer than 1990 i would expect. Dry brakes and clutches were gone in almost everything by then. Its worth asking though.
good-dog, The 1999 Case looks good in the photo with new paint. Paint does a quite a job especially in a photo. It does have a good amount of yours but if is is well cared for and properly painted (rust removed and sanded before paint) it could be a nice machine. The older Cat, watglen is right, more guys that have run them speak about how clumsy they were to run and Cat parts seem to be higher priced. To add to watglens tips, there are guys that will let the bushings wear through and then the pin will wear into the casting or bearing housing. These repairs can be extremely expensive. I found several of those while I was shopping for my last machine. As for the FD 110. My opinion is that the only way I would go that route is if you don't need a cab (I do) and if you can keep the thing inside because is't smaller, then that may be something to consider. I think the 110 is hyrostatic drive, very different than the full size torque converter system. The smaller the tractor, the rougher the ride but there is a place for smaller machines like working in tight places. As far as doing backhoe work, size usually maters. I have a 310D, 4x4 with extendahoe. My previous one was 2 wd and regular hoe. The difference is amazing. I rather have an older complete backhoe than a newer JD 110 and I only use it for personal jobs. But everyone does not think like me (sometimes thats a good thing).
I am also looking at buying a Case 580. I have looked at C, D, E, Super E. Am I correct that the difference between the C and D up is that the engine changed from case to cummins?
Buying used case 580SK turbo Howzit ? Need some quick advice and opinions from all you experienced "hoes".I'm in the market for my first backhoe which I'll be using to dig gravel (landscaping) and load said gravel on trucks to be taken away(the gravel)to building /construction sites. I'm looking at a Case 580SK Turbo tomorrow.Will this machine do me right? Its year of manufacture is 1994 and it has done 6800 hours with one previous owner. Thanking you in anticipation
The 580E is when they changed to Cummins engine. The D still used the Case engine
How important is 4wd on a backoe? Looking at a 580E or K. I'll be using it for home use. The steepest my lot gets is about 3/12 slope. I want to dig my foundation and maintain my gravel road and do some landscaping. Will a 2wd work or do I need to spend the extra money for 4wd.
I ran a 2wd for 7 years. I got everything done I wanted but when muddy it was very difficult. Also, it's often necessary to go down hill to get material and back up hill with material in loader. Not good with 2wd. If you have lots of time to wait out till mud dries etc. the 2wd will do your work in time but a 4x4 is massively better and if you intend to resell after the job is done you will recoup a good % of your initial cost and probably burn less fuel working longer doing the job because you can't get around on 2wd. Extendahoe is also a huge improvement and cost more but resells for more. But if you buy too worn out with all the goodies because you can't afford better, you may be best of with a 2wd regular hoe that doesn't break as often. You need to decide. Another thing to consider, the 3 lever backhoe seems to sell for much less than the 2 lever type. If you've never used a backhoe, you can learn the 3 lever just as well but again will need to sell it for less because is it less desirable. Hope Iv'e help. Good luck.
My friend says you are right! But he drives CAT so don't count on him.
Hi I have just joined the forum and I am looking for some advice on a Massey Ferguson MF750 Backhoe. I need it for some landscaping work, trenches and also work on the farm to clear drains and dams etc. The unit I am looking at was built in 1996 had 2500 hours, 3 dig buckets and a mud bucket, 4X4, side shift with extended boom. I have not been able to find much information on the reliability of these machines. Any advice?
Looks like a nice machine. Should be a good strong machine if you can fine parts and service for it. Haven''t seen any newer MFs in Canada for quite a while now.
Thanks Deon, your right they seem to have all the right stuff but stopped really making them. I will check out the local service agent and see if there any issues. Al
Actually it seems its a TEREX machine with Massey Ferguson name. Also known as Fermec.
What sort of reputtion do they have? Al
From what I've read on this forum, parts are the big issue. If you can't get the parts to fix it, it really doesn't matter how good the rest of the machine is, since you won't be running it anyway. At least until you get the parts to get it running again. My 5550 is 2wd, no 4in1 bucket, mechanical thumb, extendahoe. It does 90% of what my neighbors 4wd, 4in1, hydraulic thumb, extendahoe will do. The one place I can beat his machine is digging out rocks. The 5550 is 20K#, and his 310G is about 14K#. The extra weight holds my machine, while his slides around. Since both of us are on a lava flow, it's an important point. Somebody living in a river valley, not so much. When you're looking at 10-15 year old machines, the maintenance the DPO gave it is as important as the the reputation for durability when new. Lots of people can "break a rock on a sand beach", when it comes to wailing on the machine. You don't want to buy that one. Something gently used and maintained, even if it doesn't have the reputation for being a rock, can be the best value.
Thanks El I have found that parts are avaible through a couple of dealers here in australia and I dont think it will be a major problem but I agree with your point. AL