Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 ck starter problems

Tee Wrecks ยท 2016-09-25 17:38

I'm new here, so I will try to abide by the rules. I have a 1969 (I think) 580ck (diesel). The starter quit and I had it rebuilt by a reputable rebuilder. I have had it back three times. I'll get two or three starts and then it quits. He has been good enough to fix it each time but it still breaks. I need schematics on the starter or at least the wiring diagram. There are two small wire connect screws on the starter. When I hook up one I get nothing but when I connect to the other I get at least a click, then nothing. Am I inadvertantly shorting my starter or solenoid? I have lost my owner's manual so I'm flying kinda blind. I'd really like a manual on this beasty. I love the machine, but it obviously don't love me back. Your help would be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Replies4
  1. #1Tinkerer2016-09-26 07:18

    You can download the service manual here ; http://www.minnpar.com/partbooks/BA...E 580 C/580 C SERVICE MANUAL (COMPRESSED).pdf Your wiring schematic and starter troubleshooting are fully covered in it.

  2. #2Tee Wrecks2016-09-26 09:00

    Thank you very much, Tinkerer! Thank you very much for this information.

  3. #3Tinkerer2016-09-26 10:10

    You are welcome Tee Wrecks. Welcome to HEF. We are all here to help one-another. Please post back what you found to be the problem.

  4. #4repowerguy2016-09-26 17:41

    Just a wild guess but, the starter ring on the flywheel isn't on backwards is it? That's a old trick around here to get the last bit out of a chewed up one. If you don't chamfer the teeth some, the drive will have a hard time engaging.