Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580c restoration

pawoods411 ยท 2016-09-25 19:44

Hello everyone, I'm rebuilding a Case 580c with extendahoe. I believe its a 78 or 79 judging by the serial number stamping on the hydraulic cylinder gland nuts. Example, backhoe bucket cylinder serial# G101176 5 78 I repacked the right stabilzer cylinder with a seal kit I bought from my local Case Dealership, Powerco Inc in Clintom Nj. Believe it was somewhere around $60-65. I have seen kits from Hydraulic works advertised for prices $30-$40. Just wondering if its all markup on cases end and buying kits from Hydraulic Works would be a "safe bet". Or if the old addage "you get what you pay for" applies. Remaining repacking includes Backhoe bucket, BOTH swing, left stabilizer and loader arm cylinders. Below are a couple pictures of when I first picked her up amd how she looks now.

Replies7
  1. #1Juskatla2016-09-25 20:04

    Nice project. Looks like you are making some progress. M experience has been as long as you can get the correct parts, the aftermarket hydraulics and hoses are fine. For my 580CK project, I have been dealing with Dale Weiss of Tractorstuff in Indiana. Dale is very familiar with these machines and carries both CNH 'Case' parts and aftermarket. I'd give him a try if you have questions and are looking for specific parts. For me, even with the shipping and the taxes at the border, I came out ahead of having the local Case dealer bring in the parts for me. For my hydraulics, I just use a local shop that can rebuild cylinders and make hoses within a day or so. We are in logging country, so lots of shops and manufacturing businesses to choose from. Have fun!

  2. #2pawoods4112016-09-25 20:29

    Juskatla, I actually bought a reman'ed case 207d engine for this machine from a place up in quebec and was surprised at the exchange rate/ taxes. Engine came with everything except the starter and cost $200 less than just a long block from america.

  3. #3pawoods4112016-10-27 15:55

    Now on to Brakes and Diff. Lock, Here's what I'm trying to figure out... Right side brake slave cylinder has been shot since I got the machine. Filled the master with fluid and it just dumped out of the rubber boot of the slave when actuating right brake pedal. The Differential Lock did not have any linkange or foot pedal either. I have removed the Diff Lock housing and right side brake housing and disc. The seal on the transaxle housing is shot and wheezing out oil, at this point I will be replacing the slave, brake hose, oil seal and cleaning up the brake bands and inspecting disc springs and balls. Now the real issue I'm trying to figure out is why the machine will not steer left. The left brake works, and when I drive the machine in forwards or reverse and apply only the left pedal the machine stops completely. It even behaves this way with the diff. lock and right brake completely removed from the machine. Thus ruling out right brake disc interfering or the diff lock unintentionally engaging. Any ideas of any internal gears having teeth worn/broken or even spider gears being welded together? I have not opened the transaxle yet to visually inspect. Also, the yoke inside of the diff. lock assembly appears to have been welded back together which leads me to believe of hack mechanic work inside the transaxle or the diff lock at one point being engaged and breaking the yoke in the diff. lock housing. I've attached pics below As you can see the left pedal I not clipped into the right brake, and is also not engaging the masterbrake/clutch pedal ruling out clutch cutout. Plenty of oil and grease build up in the brake housing and disc also. Any theories anyone?

  4. #4pawoods4112016-10-27 16:00

    And inside of right brake housing. Filled up with oil and gunk.

  5. #5zigblazer2016-10-28 00:07

    Looks nice. I'm glad mine didn't need that much work. A bit of maintenance, and a few parts. I've repacked 3 of the cylinders, replaced a lot of wiring, among other things.

  6. #6Operator41002016-10-28 18:24

    Hmm, sounds internal, pull the floor out and take the cover off diff. housing see what's going on, the diff, lock is very hard on those rear ends I would not be reconnecting the linkage on it,, keep us informed

  7. #7fishfighter2016-10-29 20:17

    With all the oil and grease, the transaxle seal has to be leaking. On my 580C, the diff lock was removed before I got it. The transaxle holds 5 gallons of oil if you drain it. Best to lift the hoe and place a 5 gallon bucket under the drain plug, it is going to fill it to the top. On my hoe, I had the same problem with the right brake and yep, it was oil leaking thru the transaxle seal.