Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 D db2 pump

H621 · 2022-06-23 22:27

Hi there while installing a db2 fuel pump, throttle was tied wide open from the injection shop with instructions not to remove wire prior to mounting. My timing was off so I removed pump and forgot to tie throttle open. What do I need to do to fix? I've read that the governor counterweights will fall out of place when this happens. Does anyone have experience with this?

Replies13
  1. #1Coaldust2022-06-24 02:44

    Wait, what? That doesn’t makes sense. It will be fine.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2022-06-24 06:17

    Unless u turned it up side down or THREW IT in the back of the truck, it should be fine. THATS WHY it’s important to time them BEFORE u take them off.. It’s 100x easier to put them back on..

  3. #3H6212022-06-24 08:21

    I did have it laying on its side.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2022-06-24 10:05

    U got 2 choices.. Put it on and poke n hope.. Or Take it to the shop.. Did u already put it on.??

  5. #5H6212022-06-24 10:08

    I did put it on but haven't got a chance to try to get it to fire yet.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2022-06-24 10:13

    All ya gotta do is roll it w the starter. If the weights are outta place you’ll hear it slapping the main housing. That’s what u get for not sending it to me.. lol

  7. #7Tinkerer2022-06-24 11:31

    X2 !

  8. #8H6212022-06-24 11:44

    I got it to fire but still runs a little rough and almost no power if you drive the machine. There's 5 " - " marks on flywheel that start 10 teeth before tdc. I tried timing to tdc and it wouldn't fire, second time I tried at the first - mark which is 5 teeth btdc and that fired but was a little rough with no drive power. I'm guessing these are degree marks and I'll need to go ask the way to 8°?

  9. #9Tinkerer2022-06-24 14:36

    Is there a decal on the valve cover ? It would have the timing degree setting stamped on it. There is a specific procedure to set the timing, in the service manual. Here is part of it.---

  10. #10H6212022-06-24 14:59

    There is not everything is gone or painted even on the block which combined with no experience with this had made it tough. I did see that spec you posted but it's not exactly like that on the flywheel and the letters/numbers are worn and faded hard to read. There have been multiple mechanics in this engine. It's been out twice that I know of. But it ran ok prior to me removing pump. Pump had a cracked housing leaking which is what started this repair

  11. #11Tinkerer2022-06-24 16:52

    Did you look at the crankshaft pulley ? There is a chance it may have timing marks stamped on it. It should run decent at 8°. The pump rebuilder may have botched the repair. Is there any chance the timing is 180° off ? They will run like a sick pig when they are.

  12. #12H6212022-06-24 17:00

    Yes I was using those timing marks as well also pump to shaft and inside pump side cover

  13. #13H6212022-06-25 00:10

    *Update* I timed at 8° and it runs good.