On my new to me 580E the gear shifter will spin around, it will go in gear , but seems like it will ride up like a retaining snap ring is gone. I was fooling around with it and the shifter almost pulled out now it seems as if it wont go back inot gear. I have seen similiar issues on old tractors , any advice on re centering the forks so it will go back in?
pull the boot on the shifter up, remove the snapring and remove the shifter and ball and replace the pin that holds the ball onto the shaft. The ball has a cut out on one side that engages a set pin in the housing and keeps the ball from spinning so make sure you have the ball and shaft positioned correctly. Th pin is a grooved pin that you may have to get from a Case dealer. A regular roll pin may work in a pinch.
Goose is right about the pin. But I'd go a step farther and remove the top plate with shifting tower from the tranny. Clean and inspect everything for wear and needed repairs. A lot of gunk gets in this component of the tranny. If everything looks good, put a new shifter pin in it and put it back together. Put a new protector boot on it if yours is in bad shape, your ready to drive again.
Goose and Atco are both right....and don't they make it sound so easy hahaha. There is a lock screw you will need to loosen too. Use a 7/16 wrench and loosen the nut, then use an allan key to back out the set screw. Remove the snap ring and pull the shifter out. I have had this go very quickly...I have also fought with these. Then again they usually break at the side of the road in a snow storm when it's about -20. Included a diagram for you.
Hey, I never said it was easy. I suggested removing the entire top cover for a couple of reasons. Generally speaking, if you've worn out or broke the shifter centering pin, chances are that shifter has a few hours on it, other wear issues could be in there as well. You need to clean everything real good to see if there's wear on other components. And, there is a lot of gunk builds up in the shifter tower, especially if the seal boot is worn, cracked, or missing. And I would put a new boot on it, no time better than now. Also, I can't remember for sure, but I was thinking they used brass inserts on the shifting forks. If so, this is a good time to replace them as well and get a look down in the gearbox to see if everything looks good in there. It's better to find and repair things before they break.
ATCO...totally agree...just you made it sound soooooo easy.
Uh huh, and how many times have operators been told "you make that look so easy..." There's no such thing as easy without experience.
Same problem, but with more I am having the same problem with a 580E, but the gearshift lever came completely out without removing the set screw assembly on the side underneath the boot. I cannot get the cover to come up. It is loose, but will not lift off. It seems as if it wants to swivel slightly around part #3, Locking pin, on the above diagram. Is there a trick to this, or is it just really stubborn to get off?
Plantman, the shifter forks must be in neutral to remove cover - look down the hole where the lever came out & align the rails with a pry bar or long screwdriver - with that done it should lift off easily. NB if the ball & gearshift lever are loose/sloppy from use, the new rollpin will not last very long - fit a new rollpin give the ball a couple of spots of weld - not too much as it may interfere with gear selection. If you have put too much weld on it - just keep grinding it away till you have good movement for gear selection.