Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 420D w/ Cutting Edge Problems

HandLogger ยท 2009-03-20 01:32

We've been using our CAT 420D to move a lot of forest waste over the past several months and, unfortunately, we ended up cracking one side of the loader's bolt-on cutting edge. To make a long story short, the broken piece worked its way loose and fell off. This is our first time with a cutting edge issue, so I'd like to read some thoughts on whether or not we should get the cutting edge welded or not. As this machine is rarely used to scrape anything harder than the forest floor, the current cutting edge has plenty of life left in it. On the other hand, the 4-in-1 front loader is often used to push large forest debris piles and, a bit less often, sizeable rocks (which might explain the crack/break in the first place). Will a good welding job hold up well for our uses? By the way, if a new cutting edge is our best option, can anyone recommend a good place to get one in the Berkshires area (Western MA/Eastern NY)? Have a good one ...

Replies13
  1. #1dirt digger2009-03-20 02:21

    you should be more then fine with a good weld job...just as long as it is an accurate weld so all the holes still match up.... you figure it isn't any more stress then a shank on a trackhoe bucket and we weld those on all the time

  2. #266ken2009-03-20 08:00

    Take it to your Cat dealer and get it replaced. Cat cutting edges and teeth are guarenteed against breakage.

  3. #3HandLogger2009-03-20 13:35

    Dirt Digger : Thanks very much for the reply. I'm glad to see that welding might be one option here. If a trackhoe -- which makes me very jealous in this muddy weather -- bucket can take a weld, then the cutting edge on our 420D should be able to also. By the way, if you ever get a few minutes to spare, I'd like to read more about what you've got going on. Your signature is very interesting to me. Ken : Although our machine was purchased with very low hours, we are the second owners. I'm assuming that the cutting edge is original (read: CAT) equipment, but how would I verify this for sure. Are there certain distinguishing marks on the cutting edge that tell the CAT dealer whether or not it's guarantee against breakage? In other words, are there marks on the cutting edge which tell the CAT people that it's a CAT part? Please keep 'em coming ...

  4. #4dirt digger2009-03-20 14:36

    sent you a PM

  5. #566ken2009-03-20 17:46

    There will probably be some markings DH-2, this is a Cat trademark.

  6. #6surfer-joe2009-03-20 20:12

    Doesn't matter who owns it, if it is branded Cat DH-2 or DH-3, it has a life-time warranty even if it IS worn out. Just run it down to your local Cat house and there should be no problem with replacement. Probably either Foley, Inc., Giles & Ransome, or H.O. Penn.

  7. #7JS580SL2009-03-21 00:24

    I would leave it as a bolt on edge, not welded. Less hassle if you do ever have to replace it. Any thought of putting a tooth cutting edge on since you do most of work off road added you still have the dozer edge of the 4n'1?

  8. #8I AM IRONMAN2009-03-27 22:00

    Whether it is warranted or not, it would be best to put a bolt on cutting edge back on. Any Cat dealer could supply it, and the cost is a lot less than trying to straighten out a worn out bucket edge. Then check the bolts occasionally and make sure you keep them tight. That way they are much stronger and won't break. A 4/1 bucket is very expensive and could end up wearing out several cutting edges in its life. You wouldn't want to have to weld a new edge on every time. Teeth might work as long as the bucket edge would match up where the clamshell comes together.

  9. #9HandLogger2009-03-28 00:34

    Thanks for all of the replies. I AM IRONMAN : Having read through the thread again, I'm inclined to agree that the bolt-on edge is the best way to go for us. We do a lot of dragging back, to smooth out stump and boulder holes, so teeth probably wouldn't be a great idea given our projects. I also like your words about keeping the hardware tight. This was not a regular practice for us, but it makes a lot of sense. By the way, I called a CAT dealer today and was told that the broken edge "should be" covered. However, they also told me that I would have to purchase the other half to keep the edges balanced (in length). Considering that edges cost just under $150.00 each, I was thinking that we should try to flip the "good" edge we have on the machine now and (hopefully) put the warranteed/replacement edge on the broken side. As we've never flipped an edge before, I was wondering if this is a pretty straight forward operation ? Have a good one ...

  10. #10I AM IRONMAN2009-03-28 01:16

    Easy with the right tools If possible use a Impact wrench and you will probably need to replace all of the nuts and bolts as they tend to get all buggered up! You might want to have a torch around if possible to get the old ones off if needed.

  11. #11HandLogger2009-03-28 12:08

    I AM IRONMAN : Is the process of "flipping" the good edge over very involved? I've never done it, so I was wondering how much time it would take. Have a good one ...

  12. #12Cat4202009-03-28 13:21

    Flipping the edge is easy. Ours didn't have any trouble with messed up bolts, but it is always a possibility. Just don't drop it on your toes with sneakers on (yes I did and no there no pictures)

  13. #13JS580SL2009-03-28 23:58

    Wear gloves for sure. The bolts can get real sharp after being worn down.