So my 90 580 K wont go into 4wd. It used to and was a little hard to get into, but now it wont budge. The case mechanic said it was a quick fix but he didnt go in to detail on how to fix it. Any thoughts? Anyone had similiar probs? Thanks
Probably just a linkage problem. I can't remember how the K was configured, but I've had to repair stuck linkage a number of times on the 580E model. First place I'd look is linkage and bellcrank connections.
The shifter usually seized in the housing. Remove the cotter pin holding linkage to spool.Use a torch to heat the ears up watch you don't get it too hot you will burn the shift spool seal out. Spray with penetrating oil until you work it free. Rotate shaft and remove linkage, clean it with emery cloth so it slides in easily. Reconnect linkage to spool. You can also check the other pivot point but usually it never seizes up there.
Nice illustration Gil. I haven't worked on a K with 4wd, but several of the E series. I can see (by your drawing) they're totally different.
In the case that the ears the lever went threw got broke off. Case offered a skid plate that had a steel block that bolted to it and the lever would pivit in it, and it came with a grease fitting. I think it came with a new lever also.
Thanks guys I will check it out when I get it back in from the jobsite. Hope I can get it fixed. 4wd is no good if you cant get it to work
nice diagram, now does anyone have one for the wiring for the lights and console