Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 K problem – won’t move forward – barely moves backward?

Joe Friday · 2021-04-04 17:02

So... I check fluids and started my 580K for the first time this season. Everything started off fine. I was pushing small under brush off the road way. Worked for about 1 1/2 hours. Then it seemed like it took a few seconds when shifting to forward to move. Backing up seemed OK. I drove back to the property from the road way - probably about 1/4 mile at the most. I did shift it into 3rd gear on the way. (I was working slowly in 1st when I noticed it acting different.) When I parked I noticed a fitting was a little loose leaking oil - not spraying. I went to get some Hydraulic oil to top it off. When I got back about 45 minutes later - I added about 3 gallons of hydraulic oil. Started it up and moved forward. It was acting worse - not wanting to go forward at all. But reverse seemed fine. I let it warm up a bit longer (few minutes) and reverse started acting the same way. I moved to it to the parking spot and played a bit... Sometime it will creep forward a few feet and then stop - but backwards almost always works.... until it doesn't. But then it will work again - backward. No stress on the machine - any stress and it won't work at all either direction... Has the Shuttle gone bad? Has the Torque converter gone back? Are they the same? Where do I find rebuilt replacement parts? What should this cost if I do the labor? Thanks in advance. - Disappointing day....

Replies12
  1. #1cosmaar12021-04-04 19:31

    I don’t have a 580k and am not sure what the reservoir holds, but if we say you have a 30 gallon system, 3 gallons is 10% of your system. When it started not wanting to move, did you check the hydraulic level again? What about the transmission level?

  2. #2Joe Friday2021-04-04 20:22

    Yes - I added a little more - but technically it is a little overfull now. All of the other hydraulics work fine. And remember that it was backing fine at first but not forward.

  3. #3cosmaar12021-04-04 20:41

    Is the transmission full of oil? On my 555e the hydraulics are separate from the transmission fluid.

  4. #4Joe Friday2021-04-04 21:16

    Does anybody know if the transmission is separate from the hydraulics system?

  5. #5melben2021-04-05 07:55

    There are two different power shuttle systems used on Ks, the early K has a power shuttle dipstick right above the starter on the RH side of the engine, the later transmissions share their oil with the shuttle and there is a dipstick under the flap in the floor mat ahead of the BH control tower.

  6. #6Willie B2021-04-05 08:19

    I have an earlier 580K. I once owned two, close in serial number, I believe 1988. Mine have a separate oil for the torque converter. Right side of the tractor just above the frame rail is a dipstick. Maybe 1" diameter tube. You put TCH (these days Case IH Hytran) fluid down the tube. Both tractors I have had leaked fluid from the torque converter. The one I now have I took to the dealer They put in a seal. It cost about $1000. Problem solved.

  7. #7Joe Friday2021-04-05 21:04

    So I had my son check the transmission oil and it doesn't show on the dip stick. Would running it low hurt it? Can I just fill it up and hope for the best?

  8. #8cosmaar12021-04-06 00:57

    did you check it while the machine was running? And yes, low fluid is not a good thing when it comes to moving parts.

  9. #9Dave Neubert2021-04-06 07:33

    Fill it and try it

  10. #10Willie B2021-04-06 08:28

    Transaxle is under the seat dipstick uses gear oil (heavy). Torque converter dipstick is right side by the frame rail behind the engine. Case TCH (now hy-tran) Hydraulic is forward of the windshield under the little hood across from the fuel. Hy-Tran. Mine have each run low, but worked fine when filled.

  11. #11Joe Friday2021-04-07 21:11

    Great News! 1 gallon later in the shuttle and it works just like before.

  12. #12Proudthunder2021-04-09 18:40

    I have a 580 B and I had the same problem at first, I checked the gear oil in the rearend and it was low, I added gear oil and the reverse and forward were working fine, I also have a cylinder leak and it sometimes takes a min for the forward to kick in. once I add hydraulic fluid it runs good.