Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580k Swing Cylinder size

PAdutch1 ยท 2021-04-05 13:16

I have a Case 580k Phase 1 that has a swing cylinder that needs a rebuild. It looks like they came in 2 sizes, 3.50" or 3.25" ID. Is there a way to tell which one I need without taking the cylinder apart and measuring?

Replies8
  1. #1Vetech632021-04-05 16:31

    There should be a cylinder part number stamped on the barrel of the cylinder somewhere. You can get your seals using that number.

  2. #2Willie B2021-04-05 20:16

    Vetech63 knows his stuff. 135 times in my life I've been told to find numbers on a cylinder. Thus far I've not seen them. I live in VT, rustiest state on the planet, (maybe that's why). 580K has some dangerously fast swing! Over the years they added flow restrictors in the lines, eventually biggered the cylinders to slow the swing. They installed on some a swing sequence valve to limit the bang when it swung all the way. Usually outside dimension is 1/2" more than inside.

  3. #3PAdutch12021-04-05 21:02

    The fast swing almost got me good on a hill side. I think that what's might have blew the cylinder already on its way out. Interesting that they tryed to slow it with bigger cylinders. Found a number on the cap (if that's what it's called). I have an inquiry to broken tractor: C10860810587

  4. #4Willie B2021-04-06 08:38

    Oil fill controls swing speed. It takes longer to fill a bigger cylinder. They once offered flow restrictors to limit swing speed. The way Case is plumbed, oil supply is limited when other functions are active. I curl, crowd, boom up, and swing simultaneously. When other functions stop being active is when swing takes off like a rocket. I've run these hoes 16 years. Yes, I've banged a thing or two, including a hole in my wall once.

  5. #5gggraham2021-04-06 09:39

    Thats A G108608 cylinder part number indicates 3 1/4" Bore.

  6. #6PAdutch12021-04-06 09:51

    Whoop, I know I'm new here but you guys are awesome. Thanks for the help. I guess that mean I have an early production unit? Since the cylinders were changed later.

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-04-06 10:00

    Since we can't delete a post, I removed worthless advice.

  8. #8PAdutch12021-04-06 10:17

    Broken Tractor also verified a 3.25" Bore. Recommended this kit: https://www.brokentractor.com/p/case-backhoe-swing-cylinder-seal-kit-1543260c1-1543260c1/ (Is it okay to link to vendors?)