Hi Guys, I posted earlier about not having 2nd gear in my new to me 580K (phase 3) but after playing with linkage adjustments, I can get either 1st and no 2nd.....OR if I lengthen the linkage rod aprox 5-7 turns, I can get 2nd but lose 1st. I'm tempted to cut the slot for the shifter to get a longer stroke but know thats not the answer. This machine is a hobby machine and living a semi retired life, it was a pipeline machine and the clock is showing 10 K hours (no spring chicken):Banghead
I've seen this before on those shifter controls, most times it's excessive wear in the pivot points of the shifter lever components causing the shift lever to run out of stroke before it's able to move the linkage enough to select a gear.
See attached diagram..............There might be wear in the nylon bushing (8) or and the ends of the shift rods. Some earlier models used nylon in the ends of the shift rods. If you have to remove the pivots on the end of the rods because of wear do the following. If you don't you will have the two detent balls fly out and they are a bitch to get into place . Loosen the nuts on the ball joint ends once they can be removed by hand stop!. Tie wrap the two rods together so they have to slide up or down together, you don't want one to fall and one to pop up or the detent balls go flying. The other trouble spot is the pivot at the shifter as it is nylon, again be careful the detent balls don't fly out. To replace this I suggest removing the plastic dash.
Thanks, I'll have a go at it tonight after work. I have the dash, seat, and floor insp. plate out of it now doing a once over, so the linkage is as exposed as its going to get.