Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 k starter job drive me nuts

bob_00 ยท 2015-01-08 08:24

Well all good thing comme to a end so my starter is tosted No big deal so far how hard can it be ? But on this machine it drive me crazy. I can t find a wrench to fit snug on the bolt and how are you suppose to get the bottom bolt off Plus here is like - 40 so any help is grately appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1melben2015-01-08 10:15

    40 below would complicate things a tad but that is one of the easier starters to change, from Canada you should not have any trouble finding a proper size metric wrench, The bottom bolt may be able to be got with a socket and ratchet and proper length extensions. In good conditions it is a 15 minute job. Done many. I am guessing that it is a CDC engine.

  2. #2bowen2015-01-08 20:56

    Now, wait a minute... I bet the Case dealership where you worked did not charge just 1/4 hour for your labor.

  3. #3melben2015-01-08 22:02

    Looking back at my previous post I did say that but I didn't mean to say the entire job took 15 min, for that I apologise that however should be enough time to remove it. I'm sure there are others who would agree that it's not a hard job on a K, HOWEVER, I would not be able to do it quickly in the circumstances he is working in, In fact at 69 yrs old I would not have been asked to work in those conditions. When you have done a few dozen you tend to get quicker on them and have the proper tools. Changing the starter on a 9020 B is quite another story working down from the top. I changed one of those in conditions not as cold as his but extremely cold and windy and we covered the engine area with tarps and used a space heater blowing heat to keep a bit warm. Sorry that he is having so much trouble, that's discouraging. Good luck.

  4. #4bill onthehill2015-01-09 19:34

    At our age we give advice and don't do stuff like this in crazy weather anymore. Worked on enough stuff in the cold to last me a lifetime. These days I have 3 torpedo heaters and still don't like working on my own stuff if it can wait.

  5. #5bob_002015-01-17 21:53

    well thanks for all the advice i gust someone dit that job before and didint care about using the same screw one bolt was 14 m and the other that i can t see was 15 m the reason why it was a bit harder is they fit something that don t belong thnere is a pic of the new and old see any diffrance ? and i am only 30 so still a lot to learn and one day i might be able to build a garage and have more then one machine so if one gos dead i can use the other one to push it in the garage

  6. #6hosspuller2015-01-18 01:35

    I changed the starter on my Deere. The new starter is similar... a geared starter. It turns the engine over much faster than the old direct drive starter. On second look at your pictures... Will the new starter work? Seems like it requires support at the end of the bendix gear. The old starter was self supporting.

  7. #7RonG2015-01-18 03:58

    I cannot believe that I ever worked outside in those temperatures but I am stubborn enough to think that I still could do it once I got parked in the seat.In my days we seldom had the luxury of a cab on a dozer either so some jobs such as slot dozing allowed you to wrap some poly around the back of the rops with a slit cut in it to peek out if you needed to,that is if you had a rops. I have changed enough starters and bought enough rebuilts that I insist they the supplier verifies that it works on the counter before I leave the store.I have actually caught some that did not work before I installed it and that can have a lot to do with your frame of mind.Ron G

  8. #8sheepfoot2015-01-18 11:34

    Just about all the case CDC engines had the nippo starters and all K's for sure. Glade you got it sorted out. That should make it spin over like new.