question, seals on front axle leaking new one's over 200.oo each what if i packed the berings with grease . i dont do alot road running what do you people think ?
I"ve never done it, or been asked to do it before.......... Guess it would work, your machine - your risk I guess. :beatsme What I do know is that all those gears in the hub add up to ALOT more than $200. :yup If I couldn't afford the seal at the moment I might put some grease in with the oil to slow the leak - but I would replace the seal as soon as I could.
Wow! maybe try Preston's case in Sundridge Ont. I just replaced all 4 front seals in my 580K for less than that.
Further thoughts - Grease on it's own, packed into the hub may not lube the bearings - you would probably need to dismantle hub & pack the bearings, then pack the gear set. ........ that seal is looking cheaper all the time
Try Joseph Industries for a new seal. http://www.joseph.com/
whatwas can you give me a phone # for them ? here in ottawa there $200 for the big seals thks trevor
Preston Case Try this link to their website. http://www.gfpreston.com/ Their tollfree phone # is 888 749 0953
If you were in a tropical climate grease might work fine. Much below freezing I bet that grease wouldn't be any better than wax. That is just my reasoning, I admit I don't know.
If you`re able to keep adding oil to the front axle, then do so. I don`t think grease will cut it and for what they want for a 4wd over a 2wd tlb, I`d change that seal or park it until I could.
take the seal out and take it to a b earing supply house so they can match the size and type of seal to cross match-- waaaayyyyy less expensive
thanks lad's for all your comments .called preston's case $485.00 for 4 seals o'well if you play with the big boy's gotta pay with the big boy's!.it's a 93 sk4x4 with 5000 hrs . only paid $1500.00 for her but that's another story .so long for now t.b
just got one hub apart now off to the berring store to match up the seal wish me luck.
Just a heads up trevor b, one wheel hub felt sticky or wasn't turning as freely as it should. When I took it apart again I saw that I had rolled one of the new seals, so I'm having to replace a seal that only has about 10 revolutions. Going to cut into the beer fund bigtime, geeez
sorry to hear that . i'll have to be careful my self. like i said if you want to play with the big boy's!!! quick question where about's are you located? tks tb
Make sure that the new seal is compatible with the wear ring if your unit had one. Some of the K series required removal of the wear ring to be compatible with an updated seal Most new seals are the casette type and models with a wear ring require its removal, A Case dealer would probably have told you that if it pertains to your unit, I don't see how you could have rolled a seal if it is the new casette type as they fit back on the hub surface and seal internally like a truck inner seal, they have no sealing lip per sae. Mel
Thanks for the tip Mel......Here's what I've learned so far........left side............took it apart, did U-joints, did axle seals and re assembled.........duck soup, no issues. right side......took apart, did u-joints, needed heat for every cap, looked like green lock tight everywhere, large hub seal was leaking prev. so I bought a new one. couldn't get on hub with new seal so I pressed it on as I tightened planitary gear . Wheel was to tight so I removed it to find the new seal was toast....nice!! bought a new seal again and noticed the part # was different to the original. Did some measuring and can see that it looks like someone has put a thicker or custom wear ring on and that the original seal would never fit on. So with the info you gave me it looks like I was trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. ....Soooo, the question is now..1- do I remove the wear ring and use the case seal......2- do I leave the wear ring and order another seal using the original ones part # OR......3- go to town, get a case of beer and while drinking it , think of a story to tell my wife to explain why this projct is costing so much??????? hmmmm Hey tb, I'm located in Muskoka, about two hours north of Toronto
As I stated in the previous post the updated seal from Case requires removal of the wear ring. That was standard from the factory with the first issue seal. Make sure that the seal is the new casette style if you remove the wear ring. Through Case the old style is NLA. A Case parts man should have the knowledge to have advised you of the wear ring removal. The new style seal pushes on the hub where the wear ring was and seals internally as the rubber part stays stationary on the hub. A good dealer is invaluable and the kid down at NAPA doesn't know these things
hey whatwas i'm in the 416+401 area nice to talk at ya .personaly i'd go with the beer idea ha ha tb!
thank you willie59 on heads up to joseph industries i orderd seals tie rod end's & ball joints both sides! for less than just the seals from case tb.
Well trevor b, good to hear you had a good result.