Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580sl

osrf29 ยท 2011-08-22 21:12

what is the secret to get the boom into the lock position.....thanks again the new guy

Replies16
  1. #1mitch5042011-08-22 21:35

    put your outriggers down, set rpms about 1000,fold stick, extendahoe, and bucket in, start with boom down at least a foot, pull 'boom up' hard and when it reachs the top, push 'boom down' Once you get the timing right, it will bounce overcenter and lock Have patience, with practice it becomes easy

  2. #2DirtIsMyName2011-08-22 22:33

    Rattles the teeth in your head. If you find a way to smooth it out, please share.

  3. #3nilzlofgren2011-08-22 22:42

    Its all timing. Been doing it for so long, I can do it at idle, and not spill a drop of coffee. Practice practice practice.

  4. #4mitch5042011-08-22 23:36

    It makes it easy to tell an old Case hand...don't it?

  5. #5DirtIsMyName2011-08-23 09:28

    Thanks, I've been trying to learn what I can learn. I've been practicing raking the ground with the teeth on the hoe bucket. I'm getting better at rooting up all manner of unwanted scrub growth. The front bucket is still great unexplored territory, I am amazed at the grading I can do with so little effort, as long as my tires are on the grade I want. Or just stand on the bucket and drive it in the ground at little more than low speed. I have been wanting a wood splitter but maybe the hoe can do that too.

  6. #6nitro2011-08-23 19:41

    my hoe does split wood sometimes but then i have to listen to her complain about it ( i knew i should of married a deaf-mute)

  7. #7JS580SL2011-08-23 19:42

    Ive done it so many times I can do it eyes closed, drive forward hand behind my back, idle, etc. Practice makes perfect, took me a while to get the hang of it.

  8. #8nilzlofgren2011-08-23 21:01

    LOL. Yes it does Mitch. I've heard stories of guys backing up to a tree, or tall stump and pushing- or should I say slamming- the hoe into the lock. . There will come a time with much practice, that you will actually "feel" when to push the stick forward, as the boom crosses over center, causing the boom to gently "click" into the lock.

  9. #9DirtIsMyName2011-08-23 21:49

    My neighbors are not going to appreciate it if you are just playing with me. I will probably be out back tomorrow slamming the hoe into lock a dozen or so times trying to smooth it out. It probably rattles the teeth in their heads too. I hope it doesn't rattle their windows hard enough to break anything.

  10. #10Jeff W.2011-08-23 21:57

    I'm new so I'm replying to get credit but it always bothered me to watch operators run those machines around without latching the rear boom, that's a lot of pressure slamming against a spool every time the boom bounces, not to mention the cylinder packings.

  11. #11JS580SL2011-08-23 22:42

    I heard a story of a guy breaking his neck because he was foolish enough to have his head out the window and slamming the boom up on a 590. I dunno the exact truth and cant remember who told me this but wouldnt surprise me, anythings possible.

  12. #12nilzlofgren2011-08-23 22:47

    Not playing at all. Keep working at it, it'll smooth out. That boom is pretty close when it's in the lock.

  13. #13mitch5042011-08-23 23:44

    It is definitely doable, Dirt. I forgot to mention that it is easier if you set the machine slightly nose down. Nilz, I once hired an operator who had only run Ford and Deere backhoes, except that his sister had bought an old Case for use on their land. He was sitting on the fender of my superK when I locked the boom. He asked how I did it, I showed him, He said the SKs were a great improvement over the Es, because the only way he had been able to lock hers was to stick the stick and bucket straight out on the ground, rev the engine, and boom up fast as possible. He was thrilled to find my method worked on Es too.

  14. #14DirtIsMyName2011-08-24 21:57

    Ok, I am a believer. Thanks again. Practiced for a while today and got it click into place very nicely a few times. I'll get more consistent. Nose down does help. My hoe drops pretty hard when I push it out of the lock position too sometimes. Smoother some times than others. I wonder how much drop is normal and how much is wear in my pins and bushings?

  15. #15mitch5042011-08-24 23:55

    They usually drop pretty good when unlocking, kinda bouncing.

  16. #16DirtIsMyName2011-08-25 06:44

    That is exactly what I'm getting, glad to hear it. I can minimize it if I leave a little lead time for it to move. If I hold the control until the boom moves it bounces pretty good but if I nudge the control and release then the boom moves and doesn't bounce as hard.