Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 SK broken knuckle

RobVG ยท 2015-11-06 19:22

1992 Don't know what to do about this one. It's been continuously over loaded (abused) for two years. Do I have to find another complete axle housing or is there a way to make a repair? The piece that broke off is gone.

Replies9
  1. #1RobVG2015-11-06 21:44

    Hmm, a picture "not" worth a thousand words?

  2. #2GregsHD2015-11-06 22:45

    A picture of thousands to be spent! Ouch! I'd say your in for another axle housing, unless you can just get a knuckle? I'm not familiar with this axle, is the knuckle welded on or cast one piece?

  3. #3ScottAR2015-11-06 22:46

    I'm thinking new housing. Looks to be a casting and in that high stress location, repairing looks like a non starter.

  4. #4Jim D2015-11-06 23:59

    New parts... no repair.

  5. #5JD955SC2015-11-07 13:11

    Sorry man thats going to be a replacement

  6. #6alrman2015-11-07 17:50

    I did see a website a few years back. A fellow in the USA, had something to do with building motorcycles, owned a 580LE that had the same failure. He manufactured a kit to repair this exact problem. Involved welding a new cup into the broken end & fitting a new pin that he had designed & made. He seemed to maybe lost interest in it as he was supplying them & others started to copy his design. His website is blocking any access from Australia,??? Maybe tired of overseas inquiries?? Website went something like - w w w.cas4.com (I've not made it a link) Maybe some googling will track him down - If he still wants to be found?? PS I have repaired many of these worn housings by using nickel welding rods - Always before they get as bad as this situation. I have only ever repaired this broken end failure by replacing the axle housing, to warrant the repair & also as the machines were being driven on roads - safety concerns. PPS - There is a high probability that your axle shaft maybe bent......

  7. #7mitch5042015-11-07 22:02

    Here's what alrman is talking about: http://www.cas4.com/CASE/580-SL/BALL-JOINT-LOWER-REPAIR/CASE-580-SL-LOWER-BALL-JOINT-REPAIR.htm He says it's for a 580 super L.

  8. #8Jim D2015-11-07 23:52

    "Price: DISCONTINUED" No picture of the repaired knuckle. Looks like 'vapor ware' to me... but call them, and see about it.

  9. #9RobVG2015-11-08 21:56

    Thanks for all the info. That sl model looks like the same failure. In all honesty it was worn for a while. And yes arlman, the axle shaft is bent.