Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Probe test light with digital meter

willie59 ยท 2015-11-05 19:42

Way back in 2003 I had an idea to take two tools, a DC probe test light and a Digital Voltage tester, and combine them into one tool. But me not being an electrical engineer I didn't know how to rig up the digital meter in the tool. So I drew up the concept on paper including the features and operation of the tool along with a drawing of how the tool would be made and submitted the information via confidential tool submission to Lisle Tools in Iowa. After a few weeks I received a reply from Lisle stating that they weren't capable of making that tool. That was in July of 2003. I got busy with life and the tool idea just went to sleep. Fast forward to 2015. A couple of weeks ago I came home and saw an envelope from Lisle had came in the mail. I knew immediately what it would be about. Sure enough, times have progressed, Lisle has since expanded their manufacturing capabilities and is adding products. They had noticed other tool makers producing similar products and decided to produce and market these tools themselves. At that point they went back and checked their files to see if someone had submitted info that matched this product. And there it was, my file describing this tool complete with drawings from 12 years ago. Given this, they are going to award me a small cut of the net sales of the product for the next ten years as a reward for the idea. I'm told the tool will be available for the market in the coming weeks, hopefully the orders will come in. So if you guys decided to purchase one of these tools make sure you pick up the Lisle test probe and you'll be putting a few pennies in my pocket. The tester will test DC voltage from 3 to 49 volts. It's self powered by the voltage source being tested, doesn't require an internal battery. When you place the probe on Pos + and the clamp on Neg it lights up read and reads the voltage on the LCD display. If you place the probe on Neg with the clamp on Pos it lights up green and shows - voltage on the display. Probe on Positive, lights up red along with voltage on meter Probe on Negative, lights up green along with voltage on meter

Replies78
  1. #1DK882015-11-05 19:53

    Needs a button that will load that circuit with a few amps.. Great idea thou..I'd buy one if they're sold in Canada

  2. #2Jonas3022015-11-05 19:53

    I need a couple of those let us know when they come on the market and a part #

  3. #3willie592015-11-05 20:03

    I don't know about Canada, but it will be sold at any place that sells Lisle tools, which is pretty much any auto parts in the US. Of course it depends on if a given store decides to order and stock the item on their Lisle rack, but they could always order them if not. They're actually making two tools, this one is what they call their "house brand" which will be sold to all Lisle vendors, but their making another one that tests from 3 to 28 volts that will be exclusive to one of the big three tool truck brands, I just don't know which one. I'll get the part number and post it tomorrow.

  4. #4ohiofleet2015-11-05 20:09

    good deal ill buy one

  5. #5bteigrob2015-11-05 21:12

    Willie, that is way cool man. Congrats on the deal

  6. #6Wytruckwrench2015-11-05 21:47

    That's a way good deal! I have been hooked on the power probe, have one in each truck and the shop. Have always thought there should be a cheaper alternative , looks like you nailed it!

  7. #7mikebramel2015-11-05 22:02

    Good deal. What's this I hear you're giving away them to the first 7 post of this thread?!?

  8. #8willie592015-11-05 22:05

    LMAO! Heck, they only sent me one Mike! :drinkup

  9. #9excavator2015-11-05 22:33

    Good job Willie. I've often wondered if the tool companies actually look at the ideas that get sent to them. It only took 12 years and I'm sure your not going to retire on the royalties but I'll buy one to help out.

  10. #10willie592015-11-05 23:06

    I can't recall because it was so many years ago, but seems I tried the same with at least one of the tool truck brands but didn't work out, can't recall the details. But with Lisle, you fill out their "confidential submission" forms, include sketches/drawings and working models if possible, submit the forms/documents, and they treat it as a confidential contract. If they take your idea and build it, you're on board with them according to the contract. If they can't, as was the case in 2003 with me, they still hold to their confidential contract. Likewise, even when they look into a new tool, they look back through their files to see if the idea was previously submitted, which was the case here. I consider Lisle a straight up company for doing this and honoring their contracts. And yes, I don't know if it will generate enough revenue to retire on because it's a single digit reward, but no worries, I'm just cheered to have the tool that I dreamed of having 12 years ago.

  11. #11Moonlite2015-11-05 23:27

    Good job Willie 59. I will get one

  12. #12wornout wrench2015-11-05 23:31

    If they show up in my part of the world I will definitely buy one. Snapoff makes something similar but I am not paying that much this late in my career Good for you Willie, love to see it when things like this happen.

  13. #13wrwtexan2015-11-05 23:33

    Great idea! I would like one also. Will save breaking out and unfurling the multimeter everytime I need to check voltage.

  14. #14willie592015-11-05 23:37

    That was exactly the genesis of my idea wrtexan! :drinkup

  15. #15FSERVICE2015-11-06 00:12

    willie I knew you were way ahead of your time!!! look at it this way the gave you a free tool you had thought up, even if you only get the tool its still something to be proud of not many can say the have done that!! congrats!! I will buy 1 as soon as I see it here..

  16. #16RonG2015-11-06 04:05

    He just didn't get the bill yet Nice going.Ron G

  17. #17caterpillarmech2015-11-06 06:08

    I would mount that one. That is really something to be proud of Willie.

  18. #18Tinkerer2015-11-06 07:29

    Awesome idea Willie. Congratulations. Snap-on has it in there catalog. https://store.snapon.com/Digital-Di...uit-Tester-Digital-Display-Green-P806645.aspx .

  19. #19kenh2015-11-06 16:11

    Great idea! Glad you will see something out of it. Many company's would not bother. Snap-on is proud of theirs, $ 80.00. Probably be available from China later for $2.95!

  20. #20willie592015-11-06 20:30

    I tried to call my contact at Lisle today to get some more info just to find out he's taking his vacation, oh well. I did find out the Lisle House Brand (the one I have) is part #29050 and they'll be featured in their new tool flyer in the next few weeks. I'm not sure if the SnapOn test probe is the Lisle tool Tinkerer, that's one of the things I'd like to find out, just what tool truck they'll be on. I do know there are others making this type tool, that's why Lisle is making them, they've seen them popping up and they want to get in on the action. The Lisle part # for that tool is #28830, but it may be a different number since it will likely have the tool truck brand name and part number. I'll keep trying to get some more info.

  21. #21Jim D2015-11-07 00:11

    willie/Wile E. A good mechanic isn't expensive, he's priceless!

  22. #22movindirt2015-11-07 00:20

    :thumbsup

  23. #23roddyo2015-11-07 10:46

    That's a great idea Wile E:notworthy You can count me in for one.

  24. #24willie592015-11-07 16:14

    Well, I have fallen off a few cliffs over the years, but like Wile E, ya just get up and give it another go. :drinkup

  25. #25Oxbow2015-11-07 22:51

    Congrats Willie, I'll buy one as soon as I see it for sale.

  26. #26mitch5042015-11-07 23:41

    The key is.... Just don't look down! You'll get your pennies from me too, I was just thinking I needed another test light to keep in my pickup. I'll buy yours for the service truck and put the old one in the pickup.

  27. #27willie592015-11-08 00:46

    I appreciate that Mitch, and all you other fellows as well, all you guys here on HEF are an extended family to me. And it's been a mission for me to contribute to the community, share my knowledge and experience, my favorite contribution being the suck bucket. But in the grand scheme of things there's one thing that is foremost on my mind, that is, I love life and love living. :drinkup

  28. #28mitch5042015-11-08 00:57

    Your Monster Booster cart is pretty good, too

  29. #29roddyo2015-11-08 14:03

    I was over your way Friday, I wanted to come up and see the operation but it was a little to far.

  30. #30willie592015-11-09 19:32

    Well if ya get close again, come on over! :drinkup

  31. #31wrwtexan2015-11-09 19:58

    Tried to find it by the PN 29050 and 28830 on a Bing search and Ebay. So far, I can't find it or I would have one on the way yesterday.

  32. #32willie592015-11-09 21:35

    They're not out there yet wrtexan, I just got a reply letter from Lisle today in the mail and it stated that the tool will be in the next new tool supplement flyer. Once that's out there the vendors will see them and hopefully order them. Time will tell.

  33. #33roddyo2015-11-10 13:29

    I sent ToolTopia an email yesterday inquiring about when it was going to be in stock. I included the part number

  34. #34willie592015-11-10 19:44

    That's a good outfit to buy tools from, I recently ordered a CP 7749 1/2" drive impact from them. :drinkup

  35. #35willie592015-11-10 21:10

    Got to use my test light for its intended purpose for the first time today. Lull 1044C-54 with a Deere engine on a job in Pigeon Forge, no cranking to start. Being 30 miles away I took a spare starter just in case. First I used the test light to verify the starter was getting battery power and that the signal wire to the solenoid was getting power when you hit start with the key, all good, but starter was a no go. Swapped out starter, hit starter, fired right off. Then I used the meter on the test light to verify alternator was operating proper. That's when I discovered one battery was charging and the other not. ***? Chased down the cables and found the ground cable from one of the batteries wasn't connected at the starter mounting bolt. My helpers had swapped motors on this machine from another just like it and apparently they missed that one ground cable, the machine had been cranking off of one battery all this time. The meter on the test light helped me pick this up quickly and didn't have to bust out the digital multimeter. This all fits the idea I had 12 years ago, I'm a happy camper. :drinkup

  36. #36roddyo2015-11-10 23:02

    I was going to send you a PM but I'll just ask how did the EZ Red 3/4 drive ratchet with the extendable handle work out? Would you recommend it? ToolTopia has them on sale this week.

  37. #37willie592015-11-10 23:11

    I love that ratchet roddyo! Granted, it does not get heavy use, like my 3/8" drive daily use ratchet does, but I have used that EZ Red extend handle ratchet a number of times and love it. I would highly recommend it.

  38. #38willie592015-11-10 23:44

    For those who wonder of what we're talking about, it's a 3/4" drive ratchet with an extending handle. Collapsed it's 24", fully extended is 40", built in cheater pipe. In spots that I can't get near a machine to use air tools, or a spot where an air tool won't fit, I've used this tool. Extend the handle to pop it loose, then collapse it for the less stressful turns. And a 140 lb fellow like me needs all the "cheater pipe" help I can get.

  39. #39mitch5042015-11-11 00:26

    I got my wife to give me one of those ratchets for christmas based on your recommendation. I really like mine, too. I am almost exactly twice your size and have used mine to break loose thing my I-R 1" impact wouldn't shake. I also have the 3/8 one and use it way more often than you'd think.

  40. #40RonG2015-11-11 00:36

    I use my Simpson 260 when there are people around.........anyone can read a digital meter.LOL That is a nice gadget you put together there.Most often a test light will do but when you need to know how much you have it in your hand.Good luck with it.I like that ratchet too,what an idea!!Ron G

  41. #41tool_king2015-11-11 20:07

    Willie I am going to to pick up one those for sure .Awesome idea.

  42. #42roddyo2015-11-12 12:52

    Don't buy one, I'll be giving the Wile E Wonder Lights out for Christmas. If anyone has $91.65 burning a hole in your pocket and you want the EZ Red Ratchet. http://www.tooltopia.com/ez-red-mr34.aspx The sale ends Monday.

  43. #43willie592015-11-12 23:53

    Be sure and send me one. At my age I'm bound to leave the one I have on a machine and lose it.

  44. #44kshansen2015-11-13 06:49

    So are you saying you are like me? I like those magnetic LED pocket lights but have lost a couple. Last one was while working on the left rear wheel hub of a 185 JCB. I had it stuck inside the back of chain box so I could see while cleaning out the chain box. When job was done and out the door I was picking up tools and noticed my LED light was missing! Told the guy who took my place that he could have it when he does the next repair in that chain box!

  45. #45ol'stonebreaker2015-11-13 10:39

    Good for ya, Willie!! Hope your single digit return grows into a big pile of $$. I'll keep an eye out for one. Mike

  46. #46roddyo2015-11-13 20:06

    I hope that single digit is dollars instead of pennies

  47. #47Jim D2015-11-21 22:59

    Willie, I hope it makes you many dollars. I didn't know about the 'Slide-Sledge' before you told about it; thank you for that one, too!

  48. #48willie592015-11-22 00:21

    JimD, that slide sledge is a helluva tool for a one man operation. No, it doesn't take the place of a 16 lb sledge when that's what the job requires, but when you work alone it sure works better than trying to hold a drift in one hand and swing a sledge with the other. :yup

  49. #49willie592016-01-12 21:01

    I called my contact at Lisle tools today to get an update as I've been searching for the two model test lights to no avail. He informed me that the first tool is sold by MAC tools and for them to sell through them they had to agree to give MAC a 120 day "exclusive" period before they released a Lisle house model to the Lisle distributors. MAC started selling them in October which means the Lisle model will be available to Lisle distributors in February. I don't have any of the tool trucks stop by my place, I've got a pile of tools I've collected over many years, a tool truck guy would starve if he depended on me to purchase tools, but for you guys that have a MAC truck stop in check with the driver if he has the model ET28830 digital test light, that's the tool made by Lisle for MAC.

  50. #50willie592016-01-20 21:31

    Confirmed, had a Mac tool truck stop by the shop and he had one of the #ET28830 digital test lights on his truck. Sure enough, same test light as the one Lisle sent me. Next will be the model that will be sold to all the Lisle distributors, pretty much any auto parts store, they'll be available in February. I also talked to a local NAPA guy I work with a lot. Lisle makes some tools for NAPA, but they're branded under the NAPA names such as Evercraft. I don't know if NAPA has an agreement to supply this tool through NAPA, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did, showed my buddy the test light and asked him to be on the lookout for them in the NAPA product line.

  51. #51nowing752016-01-28 20:20

    I was watching diesel brothers the other night and they had your test light,thought it was snap on but can't remember.

  52. #52willie592016-01-28 21:02

    There are other companies making/selling this digital light concept, SnapOn is one, but the one I'm connected with is the #ET28830 sold on the Mac Tool trucks and the Lisle brand that will be sold by Lisle tool distributors, that tool will be available to the market this coming month.

  53. #53JPV2016-01-29 00:41

    I have had the snap on version for a couple years and love it but yours is better. The Mac guy has had them for a little while and I might buy one. It goes from 6 to 50 volts while the snap on only goes to 12. I like the alligator clip better also. I think it was 95 bucks or so. I use it all the time.

  54. #54willie592016-01-29 20:53

    That's one of the features I suggested to Lisle in my original tool submission, to be able to test from 0 to 50 volts DC because there's a lot of electric aerial lifts, forklifts, warehouse trucks and golf carts that are 36 or 48 volts, they smoke the bulb in a typical test light quite rapidly forcing you to unfurl the leads of the multi-meter to do tests on these machines. I figured that feature alone would make it a more "all around" versatile tool. I think the other test light that Lisle will be selling through the Lisle tool distributors will test from 0 to 30 volts DC. May not be useful for the 36 and 48 volt machines, but it will still be handy with the 24V construction machinery. :drinkup

  55. #55willie592016-04-25 19:28

    Got a package in the mail today from Lisle. The second test light that will be sold through the Lisle distributors will be available in the coming weeks, part #29050. They sent me a sample of the light. Pretty much the same test light with meter that's sold on the MAC truck but has round cord as opposed to the coiled cord on the MAC tool. I found one place on the internet that is advertising the tool, although it's showing none presently in stock. I reckon they decided to promote prior to receiving the first shipment. > http://www.tooloutfitters.net/digital-circuit-tester-3-30v/ A bit cheaper than the MAC tool, seems I recall it was over $90. Hopefully everyone can obtain these pretty soon. I've used this tool a number of times now and love it, it works great. :drinkup

  56. #56excavator2016-04-26 00:14

    I've had one on order through the local NAPA store for about a month and was told last week it would be another 2 weeks or so.

  57. #57willie592016-04-26 19:25

    I was wondering if NAPA was going to pick up on this tool. Do you know if it's packaged as Lisle or as NAPA brand tools with a NAPA part number? I'd like to inquire with my local NAPA store and see if I can persuade them to stock them. Used mine again just today. Our 15,000 lb Nissan forklift suddenly has the alternator charge light lit on the dash. Popped out the digital test probe and in just a few seconds determined the alternator was dead. Only took a couple of seconds, didn't have to unfurl the multi tester meter and fool around with two leads that seem to find a way to twist themselves 500,000 times. Simply and easy is a good thing.

  58. #58fhdesign2016-04-26 20:38

    Don't see it for sale yet but there is a nice YouTube video

  59. #59excavator2016-04-27 00:38

    As far as I know it is coming straight from Lisle.

  60. #60willie592016-04-27 20:10

    Thanks. I stopped by a NAPA store I do a fair amount of bizz with today and showed them the Lisle test light I have in the package, told him to be on the lookout for it.

  61. #61thepumpguysc2016-04-28 06:52

    Saw 1 in the new strap-on catalog yesterday.. have to get a closer look at it to see the voltage spec..

  62. #62simonsrplant2016-04-28 08:40

    The snap on ones are 12 or 24v not both... Yeah, have a drink on me... I'll be searching one out. Great idea and nice job!

  63. #63willie592016-04-28 18:49

    The Snap On digital test light is not the Lisle tool. Others are making similar digital test lights, Lisle spotted them out there and they decided to build one themselves and get in on the action, that's how all this played out. That's why I can't claim I necessarily invented the tool, I never built one, but others have in recent years. My only claim is I submitted this very idea along with design drawings to Lisle back in 2003 and no one was making them back then. The Lisle tool is only sold on the MAC tool truck, part #ET28830, and will soon be available to all Lisle tool distributors, part #29050.

  64. #64excavator2016-05-06 00:30

    I got my test light today.

  65. #65willie592016-05-06 19:42

    Thanks for purchasing one excavator, I hope you like using it as much as I do. :drinkup

  66. #66ScottAR2016-05-13 23:17

    Mine came in today... I only got to play with it for a second but it looks handy...

  67. #67willie592016-05-13 23:31

    Thanks for getting one Scotty. I'm really enjoying this tool, when I need to check the voltage, don't have to drag out the multi tester, unwind the leads, turn the meter function dial to the desired function, get the leads connected up, oh, yeah, those small alligator clip thingy things that fit on the end of the multi meter probe (and love to fall out of place, disconnect), this tool takes so much hassle out of a simple task of checking voltage.

  68. #68excavator2016-05-14 11:05

    I've used mine a couple of times and it's very handy, like you said you don't have to haul out the meter ect. I showed it to a friend at a local truck shop and he's ordered 2 of them although they are still on backorder. Now the NAPA store is thinking about sending one out with their route salesman to show others. Nice job Willie.

  69. #69JD955SC2016-06-28 21:58

    Hey Willie, saw your probe on the Cornwell truck today on his wall o' Lisle stuff. Looked pretty good! I'll be getting one soon.

  70. #70willie592016-06-28 22:15

    I haven't seen one yet on a Lisle rack JD, how much is it selling for? I think the MAC version is in the 90 and some change range, just curious what the Lisle house brand is selling for. I hope you drop the coin for one though, I've used the one I have a ton of times now and I love it. :drinkup

  71. #71JD955SC2016-06-28 22:29

    I think he had it priced at $48. I will get one in the near future though looks pretty handy for sure!

  72. #72willie592016-06-28 22:37

    Not bad at all, considering a good quality digital meter, which granted can test a lot of different things with two leads that can twist into knots that haven't even been invented, can cost at least that much just to test voltage.

  73. #73excavator2016-06-28 23:32

    So Willie, I've got a question on this tester. When you connect the ground clamp to the negative post and touch the probe to the positive post, the red light glows. Hook it up the other way and the green light glows. Isn't this backwards? Not a problem, just though it was abit strange. I think I paid $52.00? for mine, the only problem ordering it through NAPA is it's always on back-order, takes 4-6 weeks to get it.

  74. #74willie592016-06-28 23:37

    That's the way Lisle configured it excavator. Best logic I can come up with, correct polarity it lights up red, indicating "hot". Reverse polarity, it lights up green, green for "ground". At least that's how I figure it makes sense.

  75. #75truecountry2016-06-29 21:13

    Sounds Great I'm looking for one now ....

  76. #76Junkyard2016-06-29 21:17

    Ordered one today, Amazon $44.47. So I contributed to your nest egg/beer/toy/retirement fund haha. Working with small 12v iron and jumping to the big 24v stuff it'll be handy! Good idea ya had there! Junkyard.

  77. #77willie592016-06-29 21:21

    Yes, beer fund! Thanks Junkyard. :drinkup

  78. #78willie592016-07-11 21:26

    Well here's the latest update of the tools available as I understand it: The 3 - 49 volt unit with coiled cord is available from MAC Tools, part #ET28830 The same unit is available through Lisle distributors with Lisle part #28830 The 3 - 30 volt unit with round cord is available through Lisle distributors, part #29050, a few bucks cheaper than the 3 - 49 volt unit. At least that's the way it looks like it's working to me. Thanks to all you guys who purchase one of these, a little bit of that purchase goes into my (meager) retirement fund. :drinkup