Does anyone know if the fuel sending unit (the stand pipe type!) in a 580 SK is rebuild-able? I'm having a heck of a time finding any info or pictures or anything on it. Or is the only way out going to be buying a new one "gulp!" Thanks for any help on this!
Welcome Prizmblue to HEF ! Not sure exactly what would help you, but here is a start. Begin by referencing the Case Parts website http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html The parts diagram will give you a basic idea how the sensor is installed. Also of note, is the sensor is not shown with serviceable sub components like a float, etc. Note there are 2 different sensors depending if your SK has the auxiliary fuel tank. The way I read the website, the 120380A1 is for vehicles without aux fuel tank, and the 120379A1 is for vehicles with aux fuel tank. While the sensor is technically not rebuild-able, it might be worth looking at your old one before replacement as the assembly is basically a float sliding up/down against a resistor network on a circuit board. If your float is jammed up due to debris in the tank, perhaps you could free it up upon removal with a good cleaning. However, if your sensor is rusted, shorted, or otherwise damaged, then head for replacement. I should also note I seen the bottom of mine looked to be epoxy sealed, so I would doubt the board can be easily removed without risking damage to the resistor network and/or board. Below is some pictures I took when working on my 580SK of the actual sensor. Side view Top view with float slid away in tube Top view with float visible I hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you come out.
580 SK fuel sending unit Yes this helps!!! The info and photos are more than i expected, thanks very much. I don't know when i'll get back to working on it but when i do i'll re-post with findings!
Good day Prizmblue did you come right with your sender unit, My unit is not floating anymore, any idea what I can to to solve this problem?
Welcome to HEF, Dave ! Unfortunately Prizmblue has not logged back into HEF since Nov.29, 2016. I doubt he will respond to your question. You will most likely need to replace the sending unit. You do have a 580SK, is that correct ?? I ask that because the 580SK and 580K used two completely different style sending units.
Good morning Thank you for the response. I have the 580SK it is the fuel tank with the long float in the frame the float does not seem to float anymore, as when I took it out conected it and moved it up and down it moves the gauge up and down, thus my conclusion that it does not float anymore. Regards Dave
I hope that there is a way to repair it. The original part number for the unit was replaced with SENDER UNIT #120379A1
Good morning Thank you, I will make another plan that price is a little much
I see in your profile that you are in South Africa. So, I don't know if locating and buying a sending unit in a US based salvage yard is an option or not. There should (may) be some available. Although a 580K sending unit is a completely different style it may be possible to use one of them.