Hello all and thanks for your time. I have a 92 Case 580 SK and the rad is leaking more and more daily. It's not used for business. I have 3 options to replace/repair - #1 Case overpriced OEM - #2 Aftermarket unknown quality, lowest priced option - #3 Rebuild costing more than the Aftermarket but less can OEM. # 2 & #3 are my only viable options as the OEM is obscenely priced. I'm asking for opinions on what to do? And... has anyone ever repaired their own rad? Thanks!!!
A good rebuild might hold up better long term than a aftermarket, aftermarket stuff can be hit or miss. One option is to replace with the aftermarket but be sure to keep your old rebuildable radiator for possible future use. What are the actual dollar amounts for the three options?
Check All States Ag Parts.. Just checked site, 580SK rad $351. I purchased 2 rads from them 1 for 580C the other for 1957 ford 850 both good quality and fit right up. Have ordered all kinds of parts for several different machines always good quality and good service. Also agree with keeping old rad. if it is in decent condition.
Rebuild - $800.00 plus, OEM $2600.00 , Aftermarket $400.00...
Thanks I'll give em a call. And re: hold on to the old one - I like that idea!
That's pretty pricey, I would probably go with the aftermarket, especially on a hobby machine.
Aftermarket would sound pretty good Sure its possible to fix your own first thing is to get it out and cleaned up find the leak in the same regard you may not need a new core radiator shop may be able to repair
Can you find the leaks? Soldering is easy, it's all in the prep. Might be able to do some on the machine. Get the right solder, lead makes it easier than lead free. Otherwise, I'd go aftermarket.
Very cool. Thanks. I probably have the "skill" and experience to fix it, but never really considered it before. I think your collective advice is excellent and I will seek out an aftermarket and try to repair the old one. Thank you very much!
Not even sure there are any radiator shops open anymore around here. Lol
Rebuild is a kinda vague description. It usually means re-coring a used radiator. Is there a chance your leaky radiator only needs to be boiled out and resoldered ? The last one I had done cost me $150.00 and it looked like a new one when I got back. Why don't you try to repair the one you have before spending a lot of money an aftermarket one ?
Agree with what's been said on repairing it yourself first. In any case, it almost has to be removed no matter which direction you take. So take it out, clean it up inside and out - being careful with the radiator fins and such). Find the leak and have at it. For me, luckily, there is a radiator repair shop in the area, so that would be my second option, if I didn't have the ability to fix it myself or it was beyond a simple soldering job. Good luck with it and please post your progress (with pics if possible) as it may help someone else (like me ) down the road. R
Thanks again. "boiled out" - what's the process please?
Radiator repair shops submerse radiators in vat filled with a fluid that chemically removes (boils) everything in and on it. I never did know what it is. It didn't seem to have any odor and it didn't emit fumes like an acid would. All I know is that the radiators come out spotlessly clean. That includes all the solder in the tank and tubes. Solder bloom will make an engine overheat when it starts restricting the coolant flow.
Thanks - interesting. There's probably some home made version possible... GOOGLE!
I had the radiator in my 72 Ford 5000 tractor done at my local rad shop. It went into that tank for a few hours and came out spotless. They repaired some tubing and fins. It was a few years ago (7 or 8) and only cost about $50, more now I am sure. I always thought it was caustic soda(?)
I've never had any luck with self repair on rads. Last one I had done came back like new for $120 10 yrs. ago. Now there's no repair shops around here because you can buy them for the same price or less than repair.
Sorry for the delay, but here's how it worked out... I pulled the rad fully expecting a leak in the core. Upon a thorough inspection and testing with water/soap and air, it turned out that the core didn't have a leak. BUT, the bottom "cap" which is made of steel was perforated from corrosion - see pictures. I was extremely happy that the core was in tact because trying fix it would have been a total experiment. Anyway, I cut a patch from some sheet metal and welded it into place over top of all the damage. I had to be very careful welding it on as the metal on the rad was very thin and blew-threw - also my welding isn't very good at the best of times. But, the patch seems to be holding. I also (no picture) completely coated the entire patch with JB weld before the reinstall. So far it seems to all be holding. Thanks for all of your help and guidance - I appreciate you guys!