I have lots diesel coming from my Valve cover when running. Took cover off and looks like it is coming out of the top of the valve rack in the #1 cylinder valve. I am not sure if that is a bad head gasket or not, but there is diesel in the pan so I'm thinking it would be a bad head gasket. It sounds good and runs fine, but it just started of course when I got it back together. Any Ideas or have heard of this happening?
Greetings, new guy. Post in the new member area and tell us about yourself. Love to hear more about your old Case Back hoe. Have you ever buried any bodies with it? Holy cow! The diesel is drippin’ and KJL is trippin! Is that off-road diesel? Or, did you pay road tax? Ha. Doesn’t matter. Fuel pump diagram has probably been breached. Check that out.
If the injection pump has been off recently, the front seal on the drive shaft is rolled.. And even if it hasn’t been off, it’s still possible that the seals are hard and allowing fuel past.. If ur gonna take the pump off to check.. TIE THE THROTTLE BACK TO WIDE OPEN..
Ok thanks. And no offroad.
Yes the injector pump has been off when I rebuilt the tractor, about 20 hrs ago on the engine. And if I under stand you correctly, if that rubber cup is rolled it will allow more fuel to be pumped into the injector and basically flooding that cylinder? I did take the manifold off to check to see if all cylinders were firing and they were.
No, the fuel will just fill the crankcase..(oil pan) Are u sure the injector on #1 hasn’t blown off the tip.?? And just flooding that cylinder.?? It would normally blow black smoke..if that happened. I would sooner believe that the front seal has rolled and is filling the crankcase and the oil pump is carrying the fuel up to the rocker shaft and that’s why it’s leaking fuel from the valve cover.. Was the inj pump changed or rebuilt.?? If your going to pull it back to check the seals, besides tieing the throttle back, stick your finger down the brass tube where the seals ride.. If u feel any grooves, stop.. the “Pilot Tube” needs to be replaced..& the seals replaced.. Good luck and let us know what the problem is.. BTW.. the 580b w a (188/207 engine) Stanadyne/RoosaMaster pump, doesn’t run a supply pump.. If it was a Case/Cummins 4b with a CAV/Delphi pump THAT WOULD have a supply pump..
Crate 207, needed to change out timing cover to make it cross over from 188 to 207 so removed the injector pump. I read all that about what could happen if the injector pump was not set correctly or that cup seal not correct as well, spent awhile on it seating it correctly.... so I think . I will take it off and take a look, already went through the injector rack, nothing wrong. Thank you for taking time to reply! KEN.
I rebuilt my 580B with the 188 engine 3 years ago. It started to miss and smoke at 18 hrs of run time. One of the injectors of a set I purchased on ebay stuck open. Vern