Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 SL series II brake noise

rickw ยท 2018-07-26 05:50

NB if you use Hy-Trans MS 1209 - you will need to also use Case Axle Oil Additive part #402982A2 (x3off) This is their brake anti squawk treatment. I pulled this quote from Alrman another thread. I did not want to hi jack FarmerJims thread Our SL has really loud brakes. They work well just noisy! I replaced all the fluids in the machine a few years ago so should have Hytrans ultra in it. Also Our machine calls for TCH for hydraulics. We replaced the fluid last year and refilled w/ TCH . Dealer keeps telling me Hytrans Ultra can be added and compatible w/ TCH. SER #JJG0275137

Replies5
  1. #1rickw2018-07-27 06:18

    So from what I have seen, I should add the axle oil additive to my SL?

  2. #2alrman2018-07-27 22:49

    Absolutely yes! You only require 1 x bottle of additive. (treats 20lt) I would suggest replacing the axle oil if it a couple of years old.

  3. #3rickw2018-07-28 06:06

    I will do that. HyTrans Ultra w/ 1 bottle of additive correct? Also I cant remember how I filled it the last time. Where is the fill plug?

  4. #4alrman2018-07-28 15:29

    Yes, Just add the contents of the bottle to the axle & then fill the axle to the correct level. It will take about 16lts. There usually is a fill plug with 1/2" square drive located on the rear of RH axle housing, but, I have also seen them on the front of the LH housing - depending on your axle serial number. The picture doesn't actually show the fill plug location, but gives a general idea of it's location.....

  5. #5rickw2018-07-29 06:32

    Thanks for the picture. I will get it changed out when I get time. When it rains it pours! Just got it back from dealer to replace ext hoe hoses and repack cylinder and dump truck pulling hoe trailer quit in the driveway. Injector module in the distributor gave up and would not feed fuel (366 Big Block)