Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 super d fuel leak

Aklavikcrn35 · 2018-09-22 20:57

hey guys, my backhoe has a fuel leak on the throttle shaft of the injection pump. It’s had it ever since I’ve had the tractor but I’m trying to get it fixed up a little. Is it possible for me to change a seal or o ring with the pump still attached? Any info would be appreciated thanks

Replies10
  1. #1catskinner 102018-09-22 21:28

    It's doable, but a waste of time. If that seal is leaking others won't be far behind especial with todays ULSD Best to pull the pump get it rebuilt and be done with it for a long time. Tom

  2. #2Coy Lancaster2018-09-22 23:18

    Remove pump and send it to thepumpguy on here he'll do you good

  3. #3Grady2018-09-22 23:39

    It can be changed by pulling the cover off. Take a pic so you know how to re-attach everything and which hole the spring goes in. The shaft may be so worn that a new seal doesn't stop the leak. Only one way to find out. If you tell the injection guy what your pump is and the numbers he can probably fix you up. If you decide to have it rebuilt, there's a guy on here called pumpguysc who knows his ****

  4. #4willie592018-09-22 23:51

    Agree with others, pumpguysc is in South Carolina, not far from you in Florida, contact him, he'll fix you up. And I agree with others, pull the pump and have it gone through.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2018-09-23 04:40

    Kinda depends on which injection pump u have.. They're both do-able, but like the others have already said, its probably gonna start leaking somewhere else in a short while.. So its up to you which way to go.. If its a Roosa Master/ Stanadyne pump you have to make sure u have the clearance on the "engine side" to pull the shaft.. The CAV/Lucas/Delphi pump you just have to pull the plumbing out of the way of the top cover.. its gotta come UP.. Let me know which way you wanna go & I'll supply you w/ the P#'s of the orings & gaskets..

  6. #6Aklavikcrn352018-09-23 21:19

    It’s the Roosa master Depends a lot on how much it’s going to cost if I want to take it off and have it rebuilt. I’m really not too sure on how much longer I want to keep the backhoe so $800-1000 really doesn’t seem wise. I’ll try to get some pictures on here Thanks for all the replies

  7. #7Aklavikcrn352018-09-23 21:21

    Here’s the pictures

  8. #8thepumpguysc2018-09-24 03:13

    A rebuild will run u 1/2 of your estimate if u contact the "right guy", wink, wink.. I wish you had gotten a pic of the throttle set-up & I could have told u weather or not u can change the orings "in-place".. BTW> go get about 3 cans of Brake Kleen & hose that sucker off.. before u start any repairs.

  9. #9Aklavikcrn352018-09-24 07:48

    The throttle arm itself has has some redneck welding on it. I’d probably just want to replace that if possible

  10. #10thepumpguysc2018-09-24 08:00

    Its supposed to have a tension spring on it, to where it "breaks over" when full travel is reached.. The spring broke & some asshat just welded it.. IF you can cut that weld cleanly, I can give u the P# of the spring.. IF NOT, your gonna need abunch of parts.. P#>> 13003