Hello all. I've got a Caterpillar 416C 4x4 that will not move in any gear, in forward or reverse without the diff lock engaged. I'll select a gear, a direction, hit the throttle and nothing. If I have it gear, select a direction and push the diff lock switch she goes just fine. Any ideas? Thanks
Never worked on one of these, but it sounds like something is broken on one side of the driveline. In other words I am thinking when you do lock it and it moves, only one side is moving it, the other side is just idling along not contributing. Can you get it stuck somehow so it spins and see which side has drive and which side doesn't with it locked?
First thing I think of is a broken axle. With the motor running and the differential lock dis-engaged put it in gear. Step on each brake pedal individually. If one of them causes the motor to sound like it is under load you have a broken axle on the opposite side.
With the differential lock off jack up a side and see if it spins. Have tractor in gear. The free spinning side is broke. Probably the axle. The good side will not turn when the driveshaft is stopped.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions to start my troubleshooting. Unfortunately, during the transport home with the backhoe, the trailer suffered a catastrophic axle failure so the machine is sitting at truck stop parking lot about 200 miles from home. I will have to wait until later this week to retrieve it. I also have suspicions of a broken axle shaft. I will also have some issues using the brakes to troubleshoot as they are completely dead. No brakes at the moment.
Well the left wheel is definitely dead. I was under the impression these were built like a full floating axle with a flange on the outside but it doesn't appear that way. What's holding the axle shaft in if it's broken?
Looks like snap ring (5E, first pic)
That makes sense. Are parts 16 and 18 brakes or the diff lock? When I picked up the machine, I was handed a couple boxes of parts which had those disks, rod 47, fork 54 and various seals. Would any of of that stop a single axle from being powered? I apologize for what may seem like dumb questions but I've never opened one of these rear ends before.
Also where can I find parts diagrams like what you shared? Seem to have a hard time finding that sort of information.
Diff lock is 58, 60, 61, I think.
That makes sense
You need access to SIS (service information systems). Caterpillar's Information Center. Or know someone that has it.
47 and 54 one is the shifting fork the other is rod for the fork
on the minnpar site they have parts manuals for a cat 416D and a 428D https://www.minnpar.com/manuals3.asp?FName=BACKHOE MANUALS&SFName=CATERPILLAR BACKHOE PARTS BOOKS Don't know if they are related at all to your unit or not. 416D sounds awfully close to a 416C