I am new to the forum. I own a Case 580 Super E and my brother and I are replacing the bushings, pins, and spacers for the swing cylinders and swing tower mounting to the frame...as well as rebuilding the swing cylinders. The main question I have is this: When we separated the swing tower from the frame there was a round shim welded to the bottom as well as one of the square type. The book shows one round 6mm thick thrust washer welded in -or- one of the square thrust washers that just sets in and is fixed to rotate with the swing tower by being against a lip in the swing tower. The round, welded shim was of the thinner type, like the kind used to shim the top pin. And then there were 3 of the round shims on the top pin. I was advised to put it back like it was except to use the 6mm thick thrust washer that should have been in there alone instead of the shim. So I intend to do just that, weld in the thick thrust washer and put a new square washer together on the bottom...and then put as many shims as is necessary to get total play of less than 1/16 inch. Is this the way to do it?
This image is from the printed parts book and it shows how it was assembled at the factory. I think it is a better image than the online parts book. Take a look a look at it and see how it compares to what you took apart.