Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 super K

Bridgeport 12 ยท 2019-11-19 12:26

I have a 580 super K that I am having problems with drifting to the left. Has anyone else had this problem before? The left cylinder is brand new I replaced it because the rod was bent and the Piston was destroyed. Supposedly right has been rebuilt just before I purchased it. It looks as though it has been recently dissembled. The sequencing cam is working properly it's free. It did have the hold down bolt broken and the cam was spun completely around. I assume that this is why the rod was bent. The Piston was also unscrewed from the rod which I found out after dissembling the cylinder to hopefully straighten it back out. The camfollower also stays on the roller through the entire swing range. All of the oils have been drained and filters replaced. I have put over 20 hours on it with out any issues. Now this last weekend I had to constantly hold the swing to the right to keep it straight while digging. I wonder if the right cylinder needs to be rebuilt as well? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Replies13
  1. #1alrman2019-11-20 22:45

    Well, by the looks of that piston, you may have metal spread throughout the entire swing circuit, maybe more. I would strip BOTH cylinders & see if any metal has been in them. It will be embedded in the seals/bearing scrapers at a minimum. If there is nothing too obvious with damaged seals or loose piston retaining bolts - you will need to look at relief valves in the sequence valve & loader control valve.

  2. #2Vetech632019-11-20 23:40

    YIKES! On that piston! Was that the piston that came out of the cylinder you resealed? Did you check the inside bore of that cylinder barrel?

  3. #3Bridgeport 122019-11-21 11:54

    This was the Piston in the cylinder that I had replaced. Unfortunately I think that it was brand new installed by the previous owner. The cylinder supplier didn't tighten up the bolt in the end of the rod to specification I'm guessing. It was unscrewed almost 3/4" and several dime sized metal flakes inside of the cylinder. My concern now is all of the others that were " rebuilt " were they done correctly.

  4. #4Bridgeport 122019-11-23 20:28

    So I dissembled the "rebuilt" cylinder today. It was very clean. No metal in the seals or cylinder damage. After reassembly I did notice that the drifting only occurs when I run any other hydraulic boom function. When I dead head any of the cylinders it doesn't drift. Does anyone know if the swing cylinders have a single pressure relief valve or dual one for each way? I also noticed that I can make the relief sound loudest when swinging to the left up against the hard stop. The right side it much quieter. Thanks for all your help and support with this problem.

  5. #5alrman2019-11-24 00:38

    Did you check if the piston retaining bolt was tight? Is the cushioning distance is similar on full RH & LH swing?

  6. #6Bridgeport 122019-11-24 09:49

    Alrman yes, the nut was tight. I also tested the swing with only one cylinder attached at a time. That was how I found out that the brand new cylinder was damaged. Does anyone have a hydraulic set of prints for my machine? It is a pre 20000 machine serial number. It looks like a 580c has two relief valves according to this link anyway. https://images.app.goo.gl/d6gumy44S4AnnPRT9 If it does I'm guessing that one relief is partially stuck open, probably metal from damaged cyl Piston. Then when running any other function. The increased return flow causes a restriction in the main manifold which makes the machine the drift through the relief valve.

  7. #7Bridgeport 122019-11-24 10:16

    Sorry forgot to answer the swing question. It does cushion a little sooner swinging to the right. When swinging to the left the hydraulics make a much louder relief sound once I get fully swing to the left. I have tried to adjust the sequence linkage but have been unable to because of all the stuck components and the fact that in have very limited tools at the work site. Not even a drive way yet so everything has to be carried in and out. The machine is still running so I may deal with it until the job is complete. Just looking for an easier fix first.

  8. #8Tinkerer2019-11-24 12:11

    The schematics are spread out over multiple pages in the service manual. Send me a PM with your email address in it and I will try and send them to you.

  9. #9alrman2019-11-24 15:10

    By saying it is damaged, did you strip the cylinder & visually inspect it? Just because it's new, doesn't mean you should trust that it has been put together properly, or that it wasn't stored correctly, before it was purchased & fitted. You need to be 100% certain the internals of it are OK, before you waste time looking for other problems with valves. Also what are the "stuck components" with regards to the swing sequence? The locknuts on the adjustment linkage?

  10. #10Bridgeport 122019-11-24 18:02

    Alrman the Piston in the picture was from the new cylinder. I purchased a replacement rebuilt cylinder from a hydraulic shop with a year warranty. You are correct it should be dissembled and verified that the Piston has not come unscrewed. With the bad Piston cylinder I could feel the play in the rod and Piston before dissembly. The new rebuilt cylinder is also mounted on the left side of the boom. I assume that if it was unscrewed that it would not have the ability to fully swing to the left correct? As for the stuck components you are correct the jam nuts were frozen. The cam follower and the rocker arm lever pivot points are free. I did have to lower down the lever assembly because the arm was hitting on the cam not the roller when swinging to the right. I will try to dissemble the rebuilt cylinder next weekend. Thanks for keeping me sane.

  11. #11Bridgeport 122019-11-24 18:04

    Also I would like to know if I should be able to push the bucket with it reached out off of the ground? I was able to with the damaged cylinder but not able to with the new cylinder. That would make me believe that the Pistons and seals are okay correct?

  12. #12Bridgeport 122019-11-24 19:33

    Just for clarification. Only one cylinder was possibly affected by metal in it. I had to replace the bent rod cylinder with a rebuilt cylinder. The photo was the Piston off of the bent rod cylinder which is still laying on my garage floor. I have kept the gland from it for spare parts everything else is junk.

  13. #13Tinkerer2019-11-25 08:57

    Check your email inbox Bridgeport. You may want to print the pages so that you can lay them out next to each other. Because the single images were divided to fit the pages in the manual. Kinda like a blueprint that was cut in half.