Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 Super L Series 2 exhaust pipe breakage

rickw · 2020-04-16 07:19

Has anybdy come up with a solution for this pipe breaking right over the clamp ? I only get e couple years out of a pipe? the vibration cracks the metal it seems

Replies14
  1. #1doghead2020-04-16 10:43

    I had repeatedly cut the pipe after it breaks and welded on a 2” exhaust pipe coupling. And repeated as needed (1-2 times per year). My stack s now probably 24-30” long(guessing). It hasn’t broken in a year or two. Now though, the 2 bolts that mount the muffler to the exhaust manifold are breaking at about the same frequency as the pipe was breaking. I have a stock of bolts on-hand and have mastered drilling them out to remove and replace them as the heads break off. Lot’s of never-seize applied each time to help with removal. I don’t have an answer to why this happens and it is frustrating. I have considered modifying it by welding a stack to the steel plate that the hood locks to, like the M has. This would let the muffler outlet fit inside the stack and the stack is rigidly mounted to the steel plate above the muffler.

  2. #2AllDodge2020-04-16 10:53

    Any room to finding a thicker wall pipe?

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2020-04-16 12:48

    Case addressed this issue with an update in a service bulletin. You'll need to contact your local dealer and they should be able to help you out. Also check your engine mounts for any deformation.

  4. #4doghead2020-04-16 17:33

    I’ll try calling my local dealer tomorrow but if anyone had more info on aa service bulletin, please post it. I’m not sure my local dealer is fully staffed at the moment.

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2020-04-17 06:46

    I’ll see what my dealer has

  6. #6highwayghost2020-04-17 07:26

    I’m also interested for a solution. Have a bolt broken in the manifold that I cannot get out. Have broken drill bits and easy outs. Seems like very hard steel. Tried heat. Not sure what’s next.

  7. #7AllDodge2020-04-17 08:01

    Remove the manifold, place a thick washer over, then weld washer to stud. Then weld nut to washer. Got one out of my loader doing it this way.

  8. #8highwayghost2020-04-17 08:08

    Thanks, It is broken down into the hole enough that I don't think welding is an option. At least not my welding. Would the heating and cooling cycles make the steel harder? I have ruined expensive drill bits. I'm thinking to torch the bolt out of the hole and try to re-tap. Any thoughts/ideas??

  9. #9AllDodge2020-04-17 08:24

    Steel won't get harder from what your doing. The issue is it needs a lot of heat to help brake the rust free. Welding works because it supplies heat real fast to a spot location. Even a left hand drill bit Suggest starting a new thread so you can get a few more looking at your issue. Some good ideas out there but folks may not look hear due to the title

  10. #10rickw2020-04-17 16:50

    I dont think I manifold bolts are broke, I didnt look. At low idle The engine just vibrates, just off idle to wide open is smooth. Seems to be the nature of the Cummins?

  11. #11rickw2020-04-17 16:54

    Yeah there should be. The stack fits over the muffler nipple. Not sure on the clamp w/ thicker pipe though

  12. #12rickw2020-04-17 16:55

    Very interested in the service bulletin

  13. #13Coy Lancaster2020-04-17 19:10

    I went to dealer today but didn't have any luck they couldn't find anything. But there is a new exhaust pipe that replaces the other one.

  14. #14AllDodge2020-04-17 19:44

    First determine how much room is available for thicker pipe Then go to any auto exhaust shop with your pipe. They can take a short piece of pipe and expand it to fit over or inside original pipe. The 2 pieces together should extend beyound where the clamp goes