Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580SK (1993) Extendahoe Bucket cylinder

Ronald Edmon · 2020-04-15 14:20

Need a little help regarding the BUCKET cylinder pin on the Extendahoe. I had to remove the Extendahoe to replace a leaking line and discovered the bucket cylinder was leaking and decided to install a seal kit. I intend to leave the BUCKET cylinder pinned in place at the top of the extendahoe, and only remove the piston. However, my problem is that I can't get the pin removed from the eye of the cylinder Ram. the pin will move up and down a little but won't move left or right. I was hitting the pin with a 5 lb hand sledge with no luck and thought maybe there is a trick that I am unfamiliar with. Can anyone with knowledge of removing that pin chime in an help me out? I want to be sure I am not missing something before I go animal on this pin with a larger sledge and end of damaging anything. Thanks, Ron

Replies9
  1. #1alrman2020-04-15 17:19

    That pin is simply stuck - usually in that position, it should come out by hand - if it was ever greased...... I would lay the dipper over on it's side - support the linkage solidly with hardwood or steel - as close as possible to the pin itself - (no bounce) & give the pin a stern talking to with Mr Fourteenpounder. If it still won't move - you will need to introduce some serious heat with a rosebud tip to the rod end & linkage & let Mr Fourteenpounder do his stuff again......

  2. #2Billrog2020-04-15 17:27

    Turn the pin with a pipe wrench if necessary it may be hung up on a grove in the pin

  3. #3Vetech632020-04-15 19:42

    A 5 lb hammer isn’t going to move a frozen pin.

  4. #4Tinkerer2020-04-15 19:46

    Wear safety glasses please !!!

  5. #5Ronald Edmon2020-04-15 20:01

    Tried using my 12 inch pipe wrench with 4 foot cheater pipe to turn the pin. That was a no go. Tried a 20 ton bottle jack under the pipe wrench but that only lifted the extendahoe off the blocks it's resting on. I will have to try heat on it tomorrow. Ron

  6. #6Ronald Edmon2020-04-16 19:21

    Well, 3 rounds of heat and the 14 lb BFH and it was a no go. So, pulled the cylinder with the linkage attached and off to the case dealer tomorrow and they will apply their 150 ton press. We will see where we are after that attempt.

  7. #7Tinkerer2020-04-17 21:38

    Keep us posted on what they do to it !

  8. #8Willie B2020-04-17 21:48

    I've never had your problem. I've had all the other problems that a person could have, just not that. I think your pin is somehow mushroomed on the pound on me end. Push it back to position, grind off all the excess. Use a piece of PVC schedule 80, or a punch, being careful to stay in the center. LOTS of fine adjustments are needed to avoid strain on the pin.

  9. #9Ronald Edmon2020-04-21 22:11

    The job is done. The Case dealer nad 150 ton press. Using that and heat, they got the pin pressed out. Me using Mr. Fourteen Pounder did mushroom out the end of the pin a bit, but they ground that back in. They installed new zerk fittings at each end of the pin, and cleaned it up. Built up rust on each of the contact areas of the cast linkage was the issue. Got it back and installed on the extendahoe, and tomorrow I join the two halves back to get this job done. Thanks, Ron