Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 super m

DS1973 ยท 2019-03-18 10:44

I have a 580 super m squirting fuel from the breather hole above the fuel injections lines any idea what could cause this thanks

Replies27
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-03-18 17:42

    Welcome to HEF, DS1973 ! Breather hole ??? Can you explain that a little better ? I think you need to have three posts on HEF before you can post a picture. Photos certainly make helping us a lot easier.

  2. #2DS19732019-03-19 01:23

    I assume it is an overflow or a breather hole on the fuel injection right under what looks like a solenoid valve or a shut off valve on top of the fuel injection pump I cannot find a description of in my parts manual thank you for your reply

  3. #3thepumpguysc2019-03-19 05:12

    THAT is indeed a "vent".. A rubber diaphragm is captured right above it in the boost chamber & gets pushed down.. & the motion needs to be vented.. What is leaking is a small, & I mean SMALL oring, that seals on a rod.. Sorry but its not a diy project & unless u find a VERY EXPERIENCED pump guy to remove JUST the top cover, the pump HAS TO come off. Pump removal isn't that hard if u have the engine turning tool.. CLEAN the pump area before starting the project..{Brake-Kleen} I can take care of the leak once u get it off.. The drive shaft might NOT BE keyed.. so the timing procedure is critical on that engine.. & the pump & engine need to be timed before pump removal.. Good luck.

  4. #4DS19732019-03-19 11:17

    This has been the best form I have ever joined, thank you Im sure I can remove the top cover with no damage to the pump, I have experience drilling covers with bolts, is there a professional repair that needs done, or just replacing the oring, I'm sorry for all the questions but where I live if I want something fixed I gotta do it my self,

  5. #5thepumpguysc2019-03-19 16:36

    UNLESS your getting a professional inj. pump guy to do it, don't try it.. Take the whole pump off.. The repair needs to done professionally.. it is NOT a DIY job..

  6. #6DS19732019-03-20 16:10

    OK will do gotta read up on how to do the timing thank's again

  7. #7thepumpguysc2019-03-20 16:35

    IF u have a book, that's great.. if not, post back & we can walk u thru it.. Do u have the engine turning tool.?? it makes the whole job WAY MORE fun..

  8. #8DS19732019-03-21 11:55

    I have the book but not engine tool

  9. #9thepumpguysc2019-03-21 18:57

    When I bought mine, it was about 40.00 & one, if not the best tool I ever bought..

  10. #10thepumpguysc2019-03-21 19:03

    The way I like to do it is>> use a small screwdriver to pull the retaining clip off the timing pin.. Pull the pin out.. take off the oring & lube the pin.. THEN rotate the engine.. The oring will keep the pin from falling easily into the hole in the cam gear.. & sometimes I wont use the pin at all.. I'll stick my little finger in the timing hole & FEEL for the hole in the cam gear..while I rotate the engine..

  11. #11alrman2019-03-21 20:11

    Many of those Iveco engines don't actually supply the timing pin..... only the hole in which to insert it. Nice marketing ploy

  12. #12DS19732019-03-22 22:59

    OK thanks guys, weather permits and a little luck I'll remove the pump next weekend

  13. #13thepumpguysc2019-03-23 07:51

    BTW> the engine timing pin/hole is directly UNDER the inj. pump.. facing the timing cover..

  14. #14Coy Lancaster2019-03-24 14:27

    Of course these Iveco pumps are mounted on the rear of the engine and a pain to get off at times. Case had an issue with the early units being not timed correctly out of the factory and dealers had to retime engines using a fixture supplied by Case. But as pumpguy said remove the timing pin cover and find the hole in cam gear before removing the pump.

  15. #15DS19732019-03-31 23:01

    OK it rained all weekend but I did read up and have more questions where can I get the gear puller mentioned in the manual or can I use one similar all I have are bearing and hub pullers

  16. #16DS19732019-03-31 23:04
  17. #17DS19732019-03-31 23:05

    Found this on ebay

  18. #18thepumpguysc2019-04-01 07:05

    Holy ****.. snatch that up.. I paid 41.00 for my last one.. & 85.00 from snap on for my 1st one.. They're good for all sorts of things.. I guess that's why mine keep walking off.??

  19. #19DS19732019-04-01 17:41

    tools tend to grow legs, thanks hopefully I'll get to it this weekend

  20. #20thepumpguysc2019-04-02 07:10

    Especially the pump guys tools.!!! I have a tendency to get off the job site quickly when I'm done.. I'm not the "chatty" kinda mechanic.. IF I know I have to come back to the site, I have a bad habit of leaving things behind.. "Aww, I'll get that when I bring the pump back".. 99x outta 100 its not there when I get back.!! Except this 1 job.. it was 2 years till the guy wanted to get his tractor going again.. & my magnetic tray w/ all the nuts, bolts & washers was still stuck to the engine.!!! THAT made for a nice easy install.. & I got my tray back.. but my pump puller was "missing".. lol

  21. #21DS19732019-04-08 12:19

    Not a good weekend for tear down rain and lighting hopefully soon

  22. #22DS19732019-04-15 10:17

    Well got The Pump Off

  23. #23thepumpguysc2019-04-15 10:38

    YEAH.. Now.. what are u gonna do w/ it ?? PLEASE don't tell me your gonna try to fix it.??!!

  24. #24DS19732019-04-15 18:20

    Got the pump off, pump guy do you rebuild them

  25. #25DS19732019-04-15 18:20

    Nope not me

  26. #26DS19732019-04-15 20:38

    Got the pump off, pump guy do you rebuild them

  27. #27thepumpguysc2019-04-16 00:07

    Yes.. I'll send u a prvt msg.