Hey guys n gals. I did post this before, but now I have pictures of what/where I am asking about. Comments and suggestions on anything are appreciated! (I would like to learn anything I can ) First pic is the 580 on the trailer. This pic is the front, do you guys think I would hurt anything by throwing the chain around that "post" that is showing behind the weight? (when i brought it out here the guy i bought it from had it chained down on his trailer, I unchained it and totally forget where he had the chains) These last two pics are of the rear area. Im not quite sure where to throw the chains here. I was thinking around the outrigger, but not quite sure if that would wreck anything. (cant see it but I thought I would ask anyways) Seems like that is about the only place back there.
Most guys will run the chain over the loader frame right at the bucket end on the front. They also run the chain over the lower swing frame on the rear. The last pictures has the scars from were it has been chained and the chain has worn into the swing frame. The best way to chain down the older Case hoes before they decided to acually put tie down points is to add brackets on the machine to hook into. I have a hoe in the shop that has a nice set of tie downs added to it. the one on the rear mount on the stabalizer arm mount pin and work real well. I wil try to remember to take some pictures tomarrow and post them to give you a cleare idea.
Chaindown Here is what Goose was talking about, notice the chain wear on the frame.
Thanks for the replies guys, and good eyes too, I never even noticed those wear marks before. I was under the impression that a person had to have one chain over each bucket, then four main points. By having the one chain go across the swing arm, would that count as two points of contact?(or however they say it?) Heres a link that I found that tells some info. Heavy machinery has to have four tie downs (minimum) 5000lbs working load limit (page 23) http://www.ccmta.ca/english/committees/cra/cargo/pdf/draft5.pdf
for the rear grab a torch and cut out a hole where the reflector is...its where all the new hoes have a hole cut from the factory, then just hook a big hook into the hole that way you get two points on the rear without having to feed the chains on the front find some non-ductile and weld D-rings...a little extra work up front save a ton of time in the future when chaining the thing down
Here a couple of the factory tie downs on a 580SM. The front ones could be made and the rears could be cut unto the frame like dirt digger said.
Sweet thanks for the pics. Very very helpful! I called the DOT today and they said the main machine has to have four points of contact for sure up here then a chain on each bucket. Would it work with chains around the outriggers to get it to a welding shop? I still dont wanna bust anything, and I dont have any of my tools/torches/welders out at my farm yet, so I will have to take it somewhere to get some holes cut in the back and whatnot.
And heres a couple of pictures of some brackets we have welded on backhoes. The front is just a D weldee to the end of the torque tube on the loader frame The rear on is the same D ring welded to a piece of pipe slipped over the stabalizer pin. They work real good and are easy to reach from the ground when the machine is loaded on the trailer.
That's pretty cool stuff Goose, I like it! I'd say any DOT would be happy with that. :notworthy
DOT wouldn't be happy with the front ones because the D-rings on the front are welded onto the loader arms which count as an attachment, therefore to "properly" chain a backhoe down you need 4 short chains and binders for the 4 corners of the machine and 2 long chains, one for the loader and one for the hoe...i do like the rings one the outriggers though...i hate reaching for the tie-downs that are cut in Preppy as far as chaining the riggers down you would be fine heres our baby tied down and ready to go
Thanks for the pics goose and Dirt digger Dirt digger is right, the dot wouldnt like the d rings on the loader, they told me in the stern DOT voice that there MUST be 4 on the main machine haha, All I said was ok, thank you very much! I do like the idea of the d rings on the loader arms though, nice and out of the way, easy to reach, etc. I want to do everything by the book for the first little bit, just so they dont see a need to pull me over and check. Is there a reason/purpose that you have the bucket sitting how it would normally sit compare to upside down, like I had it in my picture? (real reason I had my front bucket upside down is to act as a parking brake of sorts haha)
what do you mean?...bucket dumped as opposed to flat? its all weight distribution really...that trailer on our 10wheeler is long enough that it allows the loader to be flat, our 6 wheeler trailer requires the loader to be dumped a little
Just drop a chain in behind where the outrigger is pinned to the machine and hook the chain to itself then hook the binder to what is left of the chain and tighten it down. Do it this way all the time, works great. This way You don't have to cut on your machine. On the front loop the chain around the axle on the center pin side of the stop. The stop will keep the chain towards the middle of the machine and away from the tire allowing you to pull it tight at an angle towards the front of the trailer.