Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B Backhoe / Clutch Question…

chiptoomey ยท 2011-06-19 17:32

Hi guys - when you are using your backhoes, do you put the shuttle in neutral and leave the clutch engaged or do you keep the clutch pedal pushed down? Reason I ask - When my 580B is in neutral, the is a whining that comes from the drivetrain. I suspect it is the drive pump. I wondered if I could leave the clutch pedal pushed in when I am running the backhoe, thus ending the whining of the pump. Thanks in advance, Chip

Replies9
  1. #1mitch5042011-06-19 18:32

    keeping the pedal pushed down for an extended time would definitely rapidly wear the release and pilot bearings, and probably the clutch facings. Not a good idea, in other words.

  2. #2d2r2011-06-19 23:48

    Have you checked your fluid levels lately?

  3. #3wray nc2011-06-30 18:23

    I just aquired a '73 580b. Runs and operates good. It has the manual shuttle shift transmission with clutch. The problem I'm having is the clutch slips. I can put it in forward or reverse at stand still and it will not move until I increase the RPMs. It will move fine until I reach an moderate incline and it will just stop until I increase RPM. When the clutch is hooked up good it will spin the wheels when pushing with the bucket. Is there an adjustment for the clutch other than the linkage? The clutch disengages with the slightest touch to the clutch pedal. I have adjusted the linkage as far as I know how. Do I have a bad clutch or an adjustment problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

  4. #4Leon Phelps2011-06-30 19:32

    mine sings when low on fluid too.

  5. #5chiptoomey2011-07-02 09:03

    I checked the levels, all are good. I do know that I am not getting the correct pressure out of the pump - so I assume it is starting to deteriorate. Thanks for the info!

  6. #6melben2011-07-03 15:55

    The machine you describe has a manual dry conventional clutch system and the only adjustment is free play on the pedal. If you have free travel before the throw out bearing is contacted then the facings are worn out on the driven plate. bear in mind that this is a mettalic clutch and when wear occours it wears the flywheel surface as well as the pressure plate requiring replacement of the PP and resurfacing of the flywheel by a qualified shop. Replacement of the TO bearing as well as the pilot bearing is good policy.

  7. #7wray nc2011-07-03 23:07

    Thanks Melben

  8. #8wray nc2011-10-20 21:55

    Update on the 580B clutch: Split the tractor with the loader and backhoe attached. Removed the clutch, fly wheel and pressue plate. Took them to a clutch and brake shop and had them refaced and rebuilt with new pilot and throw out bearings. $240.00 Reinstalled and reassembled. Like a new tractor now. Have pictures but don't know how to post on a reply.

  9. #9mikey12012-02-12 17:28

    Wow, how hard was it to split the tractor?