Hello to everyone! I am new to the site and would like to ask a question about my backhoe. I have a Case 580B and had a problem of the hydraulics not working so I tore it down and come to find out the splines on the hydraulic pump shaft are stripped off, the coupler and other shaft are fine.My question can you get the shaft to replace it or do you have to replace the pump? Thanks for any Info.
That is a very common problem i would replace the pump & coupler sleeve but with that said i had one that had hole driled through and a bolt that ran for years that way, needed a bolt now and then but worked ok
Thanks for the quick response.I have heard of people drilling holes and installing bolts,pins and welding them;but I just thought I would check around. This is actually the first major issue I have had with it, it has made me alot of money and has been a very reliable machine.
A friend with a Case that had the same problem was advised by the Case dealer to replace the pump instead of only the parts. Reason he gave was the repair job usually did not last. Must be that the new pump is better built than any repair that dealer was able to do.
That is probably what I will do, i am going to call the dealer tomorrow and check prices on the pump and coupler. I am needing to move it so I my have to patch it long enough to do that. Thanks for the responses guys.
Chevelle ... Can you tell me the location of the pump on your machine? Thanks
Sure,it is located on the front crossmember and has a coupler setup with another slined shaft connecting it to the crank.
Newbee here with a question about the coupler between the hydraulic pump and front of motor on my ol' Case 580B. Hydraulics went out all the sudden while working and heard a slight noise coming from the front of the engine. Shut her down and after a little online reading pulled the hydraulic pump and saw that the coupler behind it had no or little splines left inside it. Does this coupler slide off of the shaft (#3 on figure below) going back to the motor? The coupler is #2 on the figure below. The pumps splines look ok. Any help would be appreciated.
This is the other half of the coupler. The coupler should slide apart unless the splines are badly rusted.If you need the part numbers go here ---> http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr64552ar357758
Thanks for additional info tinkerer, is there any trick to getting to the inner spline (part #29) coupler, in case it needs replacing, without having to take apart the front of the backhoe?
I would take the nose off and remove the radiator if I were doing it. Fewer cuts and bruises. Block the hoist up regardless how you do it. Be sure to install a new fan belt or you know what will happen if you don't !
I replaced the drive coulping on my 680 years ago, about $500. The pump splines have a lot of wear but it works, pump was about $2750 at that time. Pulled the radiator and replaced it with the bucket down.
From what I've been reading, Tinkerer, I'll definitly check and replace fan belt, especially if I get that far in the tear down.
If you raise and BLOCK the boom up you can wrap a chain around the bucket and then use a lifting device to remove the nose piece. Then lower it to the ground and wriggle it out of your way. Or if you have an engine hoist that is even better ! I have done it both ways.
Tinkerer our differance is location. I bought mine cheap but needed a backpack to get there. Front rear and out riggers were down. Nothing would lift but mine is an older 680.
Circumstances and location of a machine certainly make a difference in how a repair is accomplished. The input shaft and the outer bearing for it, on your 680 hydraulic pump is quite easy to replace once it is in a vice. Those shafts have an odd way of stripping off when the machine is located in a really bad position. Like on a road somewhere.
Thanks! Case told me it was only available as a complete pump.
Could be an incompetent parts person or the fact there is more profit in a complete pump sale. I had no problem getting the input shaft , outer bearing and the splined part that bolts to the crankshaft pulley.
Back in the day, some 580B s had an alignment problem between the crank center line and the pump pilot circle, Case supplied a splined adapter to fit the pump spline which had a rod that a dial indicator would fit and the shaft turned and run out checked between the crank and the pumpmount. Case supplied a pump base that could be bolted in place, centered with the dial indicator then drilled for dowel pins to hold it in correct alignment. I believe there was either a special shaft longer or coupler to accomodate the different pump positioning. Have not checked recent parts manuals but it was a mod program for premature failures. It is unlikely that is your issue, just letting you know what went on back then. Those pumps are relatively inexpensive and it just does not make economic sense to replace a gear set and and seal kit.
does anyone have updates on the hyd pump issues with case 580 super L series 2?. I have new pump on backorder. Splines are stripped out on both ends. The coupler on crack side and male splines on pump. The grade 8 bolts sheared of twice and have radiator, pump and brackets all removed. Ordered new bushing. Two of the holes are egg shaped. Hopeful that a machine shop can drill and shim up with new larger bushing. Otherwise need to remove engine and go from there on bottom end of the block. Am considering frame brackets on sides of he engine in existing holes and try to reinforce it. Case claims they have never had an issue with the 580.
It sounds as though the pump has been dead headed I can think of no other reason for all that damage.
Check the bolts (#2) that hold the front mount to the engine for tightness. There are bushings (#4) that maintain the alignment of the pump to the crankshaft. Be sure they are still tight if the bolts did get loose. Also check the bushings (#7) on the engine to frame mount. Can you post a photo of the damaged bolt holes ?
Sheering bolts yes. Worn splines no. Does it look like it was ran with the bolts loose? My old 680 had worn out splines when I bought it. It was broke down. The pump is expensive so I just put in a new drive coupling. It is a low use machine. I have read posts on here that a new drive shaft for the pump is available. I also got a number for the proper hydraulic filter off this site. The local dealer told me this is no longer available, again! My Wix distributor had previously been unable to produce one. Called a place I get truck parts from that is a Luberfiner distributor. No rush. A week or two even three is fine. Called me back and said they did not have one but could get it in another brand. Told him I do not give a damn anymore as long as it is the proper filter and fits in the hole. It showed up in a Napa box the next day for a whopping $17 and they are 30 miles away. Have been searching for posts to thank all that have helped me with this but am at a lose. Thank you to everyone that has helped me.
Probably not a common problem, but bolts can and do get loose. Especially if a previous owner replaced the hydraulic pump and did not properly torque the bolts. Which two holes are you referring to, Mike ? Also what bushings ? Notice in Melben's last post about the pump shaft run-out. If it is out of spec. premature or immediate pump failure is likely.