Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B block heater Q’s

roadrunner81 ยท 2010-12-05 23:07

Well long story short got a bunch of snow at Grandpa's joint and temps dipped well into the low teens and the old 580 said , HECK NO! So now I'm wondering what you guys would suggest for cold weather starting. Another question, If I order a stock ignition switch are they sealed with a rubber boot or a steel flap to keep them from freezing up? If not do you know of one that fits the bill. Thanks Guys and Gals:drinkup

Replies7
  1. #1sporklift2010-12-05 23:24

    I'm guessing yours is an open cab? My 580SE went through 3 new ignition switches from Case during the few years the previous owner had it. He says the rain got in there and they didn't handle the weather very well. He eventually replaced it with an industrial igntion from another machine (also a new part). On the other hand, the previous owner was kind of a hack mechanic... made a real mess of the hydraulic hoses on the backhoe.... =)

  2. #2580bruce2010-12-05 23:36

    I put a heater on the lower radiator hose on my old 580c.I got it at NAPA.It worked great.The only thing is it will evaporate out coolant,so you have to always checkit!

  3. #3dangit2010-12-07 16:05

    Hi Runner, I have a 73 580b.Most of the time I give a shot of quick start and it fires right up.It has a block heater and I will use that(if I remember)below -10C.My unit has a waterproof switch similar to this. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Electric...witch.aspx?t_c=72&t_s=123&t_pt=3260&t_pl=3614 or good old lock deicer might work or:bash

  4. #4sporklift2010-12-08 02:22

    There's an interesting video of Dave (from davidsfarm) on YouTube starting his Case 580 in cold weather using ether: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMFIyvKiQKE

  5. #5Phil2010-12-08 07:21

    The block heater from Case is adequate and efficient, as long as you are not in a hurry and don't have the machine out in a cold wind. I've seen the in-line heater hose units used and they work very well if plumbed in correctly. A lot of controversy over ether use, personally I'm on the side of those who discourage its use, and believe engines seem to get dependent on it. However I think we all use it when we have too. Possibly McMaster Carr has the switch you are looking for. Phil

  6. #6roadrunner812010-12-08 10:17

    Hi Phil, Do you have the part # handy for the case block heater? I have a either dependent motor at least when cold. For a long time its been started with a screw driver and a healthy shot of either, atleast until I corrected the pump timing. When temps came back up to the 30's it fired right up.

  7. #7OneWelder2010-12-08 13:54

    Marine switches might be what you are looking for