Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1969 580 Construction King Alternator Question

rasman57 ยท 2010-12-05 13:14

Doing a complete rebuild of the tractor after the old gas engine wore out. It has been converted to an alternator prior to me and worked okay but the wiring was both scary and tattered to the point of failure. Many original and "new" splices and cut wires were taped over and left in the harness. I am starting over with the basics only as it will not be roaded. Just the ignition, charging etc. I am a novice at the wiring but can follow a diagram and take directions. The current alternator must be internally regulated as there was none in the system. Also no ballast resistor that I could find. I want to wire it correctly and looking at the parts book from 69-71 I see the different wiring diagrams but I those are for the generator and the early style alternator. Any reference you can provide or simple instruction. I want to have the dash light work, use the ignition switch and charge the battery. It will have a couple work lights and that is it. Read somewhere that I should have a master battery disconnect now? Whay say you? Is there a basic diagram I can follow. The alternator is not identified beyond Delco Remy but has the 3 prong plug in the side of the case and has 1 2 and R near the plug along with the BAT Stud. I want to wire the Alternator with 10 gauge primary wire. Is that heavy enough? Any other wire recommendations for coil, switch etc? fuses? Appreciate any help you can provide. Ralph 1969 580 CK Gas Mechanical Shift Regular Clutch Model 33 backhoe and Loader 3 Stick No Cab "OLD SKOOL COOL"

Replies3
  1. #1dangit2010-12-07 17:01

    Hi Ralph, It sounds liken you have a SI series delco alternator.Pin 1 is ignition and can run that through an indicator light(14 guage wire) then to the switched side of your ignition.Make sure it is the switched power side of the switch or your internal regulator will burn out eventually. The "BATT" threaded terminal should go to the positive side of the battery(postive side of the amp guage if it works) with your 10 guage wire.The 2 pin is not needed. I have a 73 580b I rewired and installed a cs130 delco remy alternator,basically to stock and did not put a main disconnect in but ,you could. Hope this will get you started

  2. #2Puffie402010-12-07 18:57

    Ten Guage on the charging circuit will be fine. use 14 guage for everything else. when you are rewiring the machine, avoid using electrical tape - it becomes a gummy mess after a while. Use heatshrink tubing, zip ties and wiring loom conduit as much as you can, and your wiring job will come out looking pretty professional. On the alternator, that second post is a voltage sensor, essentually telling the alternator how much current it should generate. The alternator will work without it being hooked up, but the battery will not get a full charge. This post describes how it should be wired.

  3. #3rasman572010-12-10 21:49

    Thank you gentlemen. The information will help me keep the magic smoke inside where it belongs.