Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B boom bounces

jamby ยท 2015-01-16 12:19

Hi When I set up to dig a hole I put the loader bucket down first with the open face down on the ground. Then put down the stabilizers down on the sides and start working. But a lot of time when running the boom down it will start bouncing and rock the whole tractor back and forth on the stabilizers. Am I setting up wrong or does this mean I have the connection between the hoe and the tractor wrong? Thanks Jim

Replies5
  1. #1AllDodge2015-01-16 15:12

    Maybe getting some air in the cylinder. Have you checked the rod for chips in the chrome? Is your hydraulic at the proper level? How is the hydraulic filter?

  2. #2Deon2015-01-16 17:11

    Your wheels should be slightly off the ground.

  3. #3jamby2015-01-16 18:57

    AllDodge I just topped up the hydraulic fluid today. Deon I try to have both ends in the air, front set to level fore and aft, stabilizers level side to side with the rears in the air 4" or so. What happens is, as I am lowering the boom to return to the bucket into the hole the boom will start bouncing as it drops. If I stop and slowly push the boom lever and bleed pressure off with the stick lever she will drop smoothly into the hole. Sometime everything seems to run smooth as a nice new (I hope) machine. Not a 40 year old one. I try tightening the nuts on the rods that run down to the lower brackets but they are TiGhT. I remember the mechanic hitting them with a big air hammer when we reassembled the girl last time. thanks guys Jim

  4. #4AllDodge2015-01-16 19:44

    No air, and tank is full, then next thing would be a possibility that you may need to rebuild the pool valves of the hoe. Could be one is leaking and causing equal pressure build up on both sides on the cylinders. If you had a couple high pressure gauges and fittings, you could put one on each side of the boom cylinder. Just taking a WAG

  5. #5Deon2015-01-16 20:15

    Well you could have hydraulic issues or looseness in your frame attachments. If not let's look at it another way. Most older backhoes have substantial slack in the the stabilizer legs that will let the machine travel for and aft. Also I've seen the loader bucket on my JD slowly curl up by itself while using the hoe due to bad o-rings in the loader control valve. Once the loader bucket starts to curl up, the tractor will then be supported only by the stabilizer legs and the cutting edge of the front bucket and will let the bucket rotate back and forth like a hinge. If the tractor moves forwards, your whole body moves towards the back of the tractor and causes you to push the lever and then in an instance the very opposite happens and causes the bouncing motion. When this happens, grab on to the front bucket control and check to see if it's still planted face down with even pressure on the top and bottom edge of the bucket.