Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jd, cat, jcb????

CincyCemetryMan ยท 2015-01-15 22:31

Greetings All! Which of the following would you choose and why: JD 310K EP Cat 416F JCB 3CX-14 I've read many of the posts and I know most of you are going to steer me towards the JD or the Cat but why not the JCB? I would appreciate any/all advice based in experience not just preferences. Thanks and stay safe

Replies14
  1. #1Shimmy12015-01-15 22:53

    Junk Comes from Britain.

  2. #2Bill Smith2015-01-16 07:33

    Case . Dealer is close by , used parts easy to find , Mostly made north american .Deere would be second and Cat third . I would not choose JBC because I don't even know were a dealer is , At 50 to 100 grand to buy one and not be able to get parts and service but a fare , That deals me out.

  3. #3ih1002015-01-16 08:31

    We're like the Chinese, we sell the junk to the mugs.

  4. #4hosspuller2015-01-16 12:05

    :drinkup

  5. #5Deon2015-01-16 17:20

    There are less JCBs in North America than the other makes. For that reason there will be less parts available and if you get any uncommon technical issues, it will be harder to find someone to solve the problem. Plus all the wires are yellow with nano minuscule numbers on them so tracing wiring problems needs to be difficult.

  6. #6Dickjr.2015-01-16 18:32

    I owned a JCB 1400 , it was a good digging machine. The front bucket stuck way out and was awkward. Breaking it down , they use a Perkins engine which is almost identical to the Cat. The rear diff use to be the exact same as Cat , not sure about the gear box. Parts can be a little iffy but can be got. They've been making backhoes along time. Much longer than CAT. We have a paving company that solely uses JCB. I'm not saying buy a Deere , Case and Cat. I'll say the CAT has served me well , but there are issues with it , no boom to swing tower bushing , the boom lock has never worked which is a major liability ( note a lot of older Cats are boom down at night). I like a Deere fine as well as Case.

  7. #7hookedondiesel2015-01-21 06:38

    I own a mid 90's JCB 210S, same as the 2CX. 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steer and constant 4x4, I like it, parts are easy to get but expensive here in Canada as are any other type of machine, Deere, Cat, Kubota etc etc. I've owned the Kubota L4200 and also like it. To the OP, you didn't say what type of work you were planning for this machine. Mine is a little smaller than the 3CX and thats why I like it, and its for mainly personally use and the odd job here and there and snow removal. Let us know what you buy and a few pics would be nice also.:thumbsup

  8. #8hookedondiesel2015-01-21 06:50

    I think some are produced in the US also, North Dakota, I think. :usa

  9. #9pyro-19552015-01-26 12:26

    I have a 1400b I bought used, even being used, It is still a great machine, I believe mine is a 1989. Yes parts can be pricey, but then again, I know JD parts are extremely pricey. For the price I paid it has been a great machine. Even with the few repairs I have had to do. Of course, for full disclosure, I would rather push my JCB than own a JD....

  10. #10hookedondiesel2015-01-26 14:23

    Actually, the 210S's are made in the good ole US of A. The 1400's are nice little backhoes also. , mine has the perkins engine.

  11. #11Bill Smith2015-01-30 16:30

    pyro We would only have to push her once . After that the 870 Remington Wingmaster Slug and a couple of 30/30 Winchesters would have to put her down just for fun . It only seems right . Then you can saddle up in somtin North American .

  12. #12LT-x72015-01-30 23:14

    JCB has a plant in Georgia if I remember right. My JCB has treated me very well, I would purchase another.

  13. #13pyro-19552015-03-10 16:19

    Sorry Bill, I have had my share of "North American" products, they always seem to leave me stranded. My Perkins diesel powered tractors have always kept me going.

  14. #14Bill Smith2015-03-11 07:25

    Ya I probably would do the same pyro