Hello All! Long time listener, first time caller! So, I decided that I would replace brakes on my 580 and would like some advice. When I took outer housing off L/H side, there were no guts. No bands, no nothing. Outer housing is rusty (light surface rust) and carrier housing has light rust also. So I know I need all new stuff in there. There is ridging on the outer housing from past brake wear and very minor ridging on carrier from brake wear. How much wear is acceptable before I have purchase new outer housing and have carrier resurfaced? R/H side is a little better. Everthing is there but there was a coating of heavy oil on the brake shoes, everything. It wasn't wet or recent, just greasy. I decided to go ahead and replace carrier oil seal on this side (and forgot to drain rear end, so no I have about 4 gallons of gear oil on shop floor!:Banghead). When I assemble the carrier again, does the seal go on first and then install the carrier, or install the carrier and press in the seal? The bearing and race look great, so I don't think I'm gonna mess with them. Also, can the oil soaked brake components from R/H side be cleaned and reused? Last question. I removed the diff lock without issue, but looking at the rocker used to actuate the diff, one side was connected to foot pedal actuator, but the other side was connected to nothing.......should it be?:beatsme Can't tell by my parts manual.
Ok. I did some digging on this site and wading through a lot of posts and found this one.... That helps me out. I am a little worried about how to measure the side to side movement in the shaft going through the carrier. I know both sides move in and out pretty easily by hand......I assume a dial indicator attached to carrier bolting position and then measure shaft all the way in and all the way pulled out? Does Case carry those shims? I boogered up a couple of them getting the carrier off. Thanks for any help!