Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580b brakes

ronztractor ยท 2018-04-02 23:37

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have a case 580b ltb two wheel drive with a shuttle shift. the brakes were not holding very well so I took them apart found the seals had failed and the lining was full of oil . I replaced the seals and brake shoes and discs. I'm trying to set up the brakes I don't know if there is a certain procedure to get the best stopping power. right now it's not braking very well I can barely get it to stop, and going down hill is down right dangerous. any help would be appreciated Thanks

Replies13
  1. #1Tinkerer2018-04-03 10:39

    If everything was reassembled correctly it should be an adjustment problem. From the service manual ---->

  2. #2ronztractor2018-04-04 08:55

    thanks for the info ill try this

  3. #3DavePat2020-06-01 21:53

    Where is the brake adjusting nut?

  4. #4Tinkerer2020-06-01 23:22

    #1 is a lock nut and #2 is the adjusting nut.

  5. #5DavePat2020-06-01 23:39

    Thanks!!!!

  6. #6DavePat2020-06-06 13:28

    Do you have a picture of the seal that leaks and get the brake wet? Maybe a part number?

  7. #7Tinkerer2020-06-06 19:36

    #20 usually is the culprit. But, make sure the bearings are not worn. Go here for the parts book.---> https://partstore.casece.com/us/par...395412&sl=EN&currency=#epc::mr5656619ar791191

  8. #8DavePat2020-06-09 15:13

    which bearings #13 both of them? And about the seal #20... its showing 2ea of them... do both need to be changed?

  9. #9Tinkerer2020-06-09 19:27

    Clean and inspect the bearings. If there is no pitting or roughness reuse them. One seal for each side. Be sure the lip is facing the correct way when you install it. Take pictures for reference.

  10. #10DavePat2020-06-09 20:54

    I bought the seals today, $47 each. Thanks for your help by the way. Looking at the pics is confusing me... so the last pic has #25 as a cover.... shouldn't there be brake bands and the drum in side of it like in the picture above the last pic (post #5)

  11. #11Tinkerer2020-06-09 22:47

    Download the service manual here. http://www.minnpar.com/partbooks/CASE (CNH) MANUALS/CNH (CASE) LOADER BACKHOE MANUALS/BACKHOE (CASE) 580 SERIES PARTS MANUALS/CASE 580CK MODEL B SERVICE MANUAL/Case 580CK Model B Service Manual.pdf Go to section 74 and start reading. Everything you need to know about your brakes will be there .

  12. #12DavePat2020-06-09 23:06

    Thank you.

  13. #13DavePat2020-06-20 19:13

    I hired a mechanic to do the work... and he got an older guy from the parts shop to look at it. Older guy prob in is 60-70+s said I need to just run the tractor and the brakes will get better... he said its been sitting a long time, running it will make the brakes work better. He also said that the diff fluid has something to do with it the brakes working... diff was low and milky (water). I totally dont understand how the diff fluid could affects the brakes..??? The tractor will stop in about 4-5' is that normal? With the out riggers down and the rear tires up and in shuttle in gear, the breaks work pretty quick.... both sides, fwd and back... I live on a hill side and I guess I will just have to test drive it on the ups and downs of my road.... and see what happens.